The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 08:57:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 National Meeting discussions  (Read 9735 times)
Jouster
PECCoA MEMBER

« on: Wednesday, 30 January, 2013, 02:30:59 AM »

Hey Crew

Dad and I were discussing some comments that have been floating around via email regarding the location for the 2014 meeting over the weekend. Without wanting to jump the gun I thought I'd throw all my thoughts out there for the Eureka public to consider and comment on. Please feel free to pull it to pieces without any concerns...I'm just posting my thoughts and welcome any healthy discussion.

Seeing as next year is the 40th anniversary of the cars official launch I think there's really only one venue that would be appropriate. Clearly the meeting should be held in Melbourne. To be specific...South East Melbourne, as close to Dandenong as possible.

I regualrly drive past the 3 different Dandenong factories, the Princess Hwy showroom and a couple of months back visited the old Brighton showroom just for a look. All of these sites still exist in relatively the same form as when Purvis Cars occupied them. I'm sure Dad would love to take everyone through the facilities on a guided tour of sorts. The factory Colleen moved into is also just around the corner from the Union Rd factory and could be visited to complete the full set from start to finish.

In early November the Victorian Historic Racing Register runs its annual major event 'Historic Sandown' at Sandown race track. Having the meeting at that event with loads of Eureka's on display would open the club up to a huge audience of true car enthusuasts. It would also place the meeting right at the heart of what the Eureka was all about. Sandown was the venue for many of the original owners meetings back in the late 70's. Those meetings and the Eureka display stands at ATCC Sandown rounds were a huge part of the companies culture back in the day. There's a wonderful photo that appeared in a magazine at some stage of about 20-30 Eureka's coming under the Dunlop bridge on the exit of Dandenong Road corner. How good would it be to take that photo again in 2014?? I believe it was also at Sandown that Dad first met with the current owners club after many many years of having nothing to do with the cars apart from his memories.

I'd say a visit the the Melbourne Exhabition Buildings could also be on the cards. Who wants to stand right on the spot where the car got launched? Who wants to hear war stories about building stands, fighting for floor space, etc, etc? I'll even make him tell everyone about the night he left me behind and headed home. Only to realise, race back and find me being looked after by Playboy bunnies on their stand. Smiley

Almost every road and street in South East Melbourne holds a story and a piece of history that relates to the Purvis Eureka. There are more stories in those streets than anyone could imagine.

Anyway, I've been ranting for long enough now. You guy's have a go...

Catch ya
Shane Purvis
Morris
CLUB Member

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 30 January, 2013, 04:07:04 AM »

Hi Shane
 Can I start the comments off. I think this is a great idea. Being the anniversary year means we all should think about a big effort. I do realise that there 500- 1000 Kilo Meter good reasons why Melbourne is the wrong place to hold a meet. With 21 months notice most of us should be able to work some thing out. I would like to see lots of comments, everyones oppinion is worth listening to.
 Just my 2 bob's worth Morris. 
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 30 January, 2013, 04:21:47 AM »

Brilliant idea Shane. I'm well aware next year is the 40th anniversary. And in fact, last year was the 40th anniversary for launch of the Nova. Without which, we wouldn't be in this club. I'll certainly be coming to Melbourne for that meet, which we should hold there.

Cheesy Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

radekp81
Forum Member only

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 30 January, 2013, 07:08:11 AM »

Love it, sounds like the obvious way to celebrate an important milestone of the eureka.

Radek

"Give a car more power and it will be quicker in a straight line. Make a car lighter and it will be quicker everywhere"

Colin Chapman 1928-1982.
Dennis_B
Forum Member only

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 30 January, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »

Sounds great... keen to help on organisations in and around Melbourne if need be....
D4
Forum Member only

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 31 January, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

Smiley Smiley     Sound's fine and dandy, I would like to see a venue for accommodation and parking for extra car's and trailers, just 1 question is the Men's Club still going. A friend of mine who lived in Melbourne years ago is still interested in the sights of Melbourne?.  Whistle Whistle 
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, 19 March, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »

I know this is talking about an event in 2014, but I have to put in my preferences for 2014 now. So I've put my application leaning towards the weekend of Historic Sandown next year.

Hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise it will cause a huge headache.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: