The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 12:13:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB WEB SITE
http://www.purviseurekacarclub.com.au

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for another project  (Read 30221 times)
The Green Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #45 on: Saturday, 10 October, 2020, 11:24:09 AM »

As promised.
Part 1 of 3.
Little bits - Engine bay
Pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LEXnbnQson1yXKBJ6
Pic 1  and 2 is the engine with no air filter. Original got lost somewhere in the transport
So I bought 2 6" Filters and cut them. A little silver solder and I now have 1 Chromey air filter. Pics 3,4 and 5.
Pic 6 is just the front boot a little cleaner. All major electrical bits are here. The front bonnet is finally on.
Pic 7 is the radiator hosing in place. A little too early however.
After putting about 5 litres in I found 4.5 litres on the floor.
Off to my Natrad guy. Radiator was toast. Anyway new core and custom top. Twice as many cooling channels. I hope to fit that tomorrow.
8 and 9 with my engine cover fitted are the soft lift and stay for the cover. Needs paint still
Peter

Aw. You used so many big words that even the little ones are confusing!
The Green Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #46 on: Saturday, 10 October, 2020, 11:45:22 AM »

Part 2 little bits.
Ears, Dash, Fuel
Pictures here https://photos.app.goo.gl/yavKBmwQ9YTSu64u8
Pic 1 is the fuel cap fitted. What you cant see is all new hosing back to the tank for fuel and breathing. New fuel pump fitted and plumbed up to carbies.
Eureka seem to have lots of blind bolts. This car had a lot of them as pop rivets. Not a good idea.
Pic 2 At bunnings you can get this nail strip for about $5.
Pic 3 is a small torch or if you're impatient you can use a large one for silver solder.
Pic 4 and 5 are using the strip to solder the bolts in place.
Pic 6 and 7 are strip bolts going into the dash cover
8 probably wasn't needed but its the instruments waiting patiently to be covered.
9 10 and 11 are the ears waiting for the same treatment.
I'm still in 2 minds about fitting mesh to the front of the ears. I don't mind the look without mesh.
This may not be the best way of doing these attachments but its the best I could think of.
I didn't want to glue bolts in place as I have taken enough old cars apart to know glue doesn't hold forever.
Then the only spanner that works is the one that puts a new disc on your angle grinder.
Pic 12 is the original decal which I was able to preserve although I'm not using the key switch.
The door pods had large holes in them for heating ducting. I never liked this so I'm not running heating to them but I did want cooling.
Quick answer was server cooling fans with PWM controllers for speed control. Pics 13 and 14.
They are surprisingly good and not very noisy.
Peter

The Green Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #47 on: Saturday, 10 October, 2020, 12:05:17 PM »

Part 3 little bits.
Roof fit.
Pics here https://photos.app.goo.gl/3xa8CsdCg3Xk9ujT9
Pics 1 and 2 I think I put up before. The lifters fitted and ready as well as the captive bolt from the Linaks.
Pics 3 and 4 are the roof going on. No pics of it actually being lifted into place as I don't have a third arm for selfies.
Pics 5 and 6 are the fun job of threading the power cables through the roof for the wipers.
I found the inspection camera was a cool way of doing this. Still fiddly though.
Pic 7 Sitting on the roof where it bolts to the arms is my PWM control for wiper speed. I'm only using the high current winding on the wiper motor and controlling speed with this module.
Pic 8 is another shot of the bonnet fitted at last.
Pic 9. You all know that foam people who arrange flowers (not sexist) use. It is very cool as it doesn't spring back after being crushed.
Perfect for measuring roof gap before buying rubber.
So 10, 11 and 12 are this foam applied to the roof area to see what the closed gaps will look like.
Pic 13 or Diagram 13 is the measurements in mm of gap. Now to go to my rubber store if you know what I mean.
It was pointed out to me that Reeks are not bi-symmetrical and I should do this for the entire roof area. Thanks!!!!
Peter

Rat Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, 13 October, 2020, 01:35:45 AM »

looking good
The Green Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #49 on: Monday, 21 December, 2020, 11:39:41 AM »

Hi Reekers,
No pics this time.
Works been slowly proceeding.
Ears now have mesh on them.
Carpet is in.
Just about finished making my new 2 1/4" custom exhaust. Not enjoying that.

Anyway Heave a Merry Christmas particularly our Sydney crew. Sorry guys.
Peter

The Green Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #50 on: Monday, 08 February, 2021, 11:18:57 AM »

Exhaust n bits
Chrissy hols were way too busy to get much car stuff done so sorry for the slow post.
New pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ThhSRujTdtP8cD9i6
After going to my exhaust guy explaining that the car isn't mobile to bring it to him. He said have you every used donuts?
Pic 1 are all the pieces necessary to make an exhaust system. The round things are donuts. What an awesome idea. Cut an angle you want.
Pic2 and 3 are the exhaust coming together. A tedious job of cutting, placing, tack welding, removing and welding. 1 joint at a time.
Pic 4 is a virtually new muffler I had left over from another Eureka. So waste not - I had to make a sleeve for it though as the inlet was 3mm too small.
5 Finished. Although hard to see as it is all tucked up neatly on the motor.
6 was my rebuilt radiator which is now installed and piped. No leaks!
Test fitting the seats in 7.
As there is practically nowhere to tow or pull this car onto a trailer, pic 8 shows a tow arm and removable eye bolt I made.
This bolts onto the H beam and tucks under the front tub. The eye bolt can be screwed into a hole behind the number place.
I spoke earlier about using a mesh on the front of the ears. 8 is a finished product.
Pic 9 is the interior coming together.
Pic 10 is me finally working up the nerves to drill holes in the side of the car to fit the mirrors.

See ya
Peter

shonko
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #51 on: Friday, 05 March, 2021, 09:11:48 AM »

Hi Peter,

i have been very slack. But I will post this on FB if that is still a thing after the almighty AU government are finished lol.

Looking good by the way and as a  coincidence I saw 'donuts' on one of the car show on TV just a week ago.........looks like fun!!

BTW Jukebox is still rocking Wink
The Green Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #52 on: Sunday, 09 May, 2021, 06:09:30 AM »

Long time since a post.
Not much work done on car I'm afraid.
Working most weekends now so not a lot of time for car work.
I squeezed in a little time to make new trailer ramps and re-wire the trailer.
2 years sitting idle left most of the wiring corroded and it needed new lights.
Added an electric winch so its easier to put the car on.
Leds should last a lot longer.
Toying with the idea if a laser to align the car but Aussie laser class rules make it hard to see in daylight and still be legal.
I could make a dash sensor to say left/right and center or
I could use my laser etcher head but I don't want to punch holes in the car.

Peter

shonko
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #53 on: Friday, 11 June, 2021, 07:30:33 AM »

Hi Pete,

should be registered by now........any news?  Grin

Shonko
JackRussel
Forum Member only

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, 22 December, 2021, 11:18:05 AM »

Exhaust n bits
Chrissy hols were way too busy to get much car stuff done so sorry for the slow post.
After going to my exhaust guy explaining that the car isn't mobile to bring it to him. He said have you every used donuts?
Pic 1 are all the pieces necessary to make an exhaust system. The round things are donuts. What an awesome idea. Cut an angle you want.
Pic2 and 3 are the exhaust coming together. A tedious job of cutting, placing, tack welding, removing and welding. 1 joint at a time.
Pic 4 is a virtually new muffler I had left over from another Eureka. So waste not - I had to make a sleeve for it though as the inlet was 3mm too small.
As there is practically nowhere to tow or pull this car onto a trailer, pic 8 shows a tow arm and removable eye bolt I made.
This bolts onto the H beam and tucks under the front tub. The eye bolt can be screwed into a hole behind the number place.
I spoke earlier about using a mesh on the front of the ears. 8 is a finished product.
Pic 10 is me finally working up the nerves to drill holes in the side of the car to fit the mirrors.

See ya
Peter

Wow, what a lot of work you've done! Your machine can be put up for auction soon Smiley
ShawnK

« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, 10 May, 2023, 12:08:36 PM »

Exhaust n bits

See ya
Peter

I've looked at a few slides - it looks amazing. Where are you located? I'm looking for a good mechanic in Melbourne. Maybe you could help me.
ShawnK

« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, 10 May, 2023, 12:11:00 PM »

I've looked at a few slides - it looks amazing. Where are you located? I'm looking for a good mechanic in Melbourne. Maybe you could help me.
The Green Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #57 on: Friday, 26 May, 2023, 11:29:58 AM »

Long way from Melbourne sorry. Up in Echuca.
I've been crook for a while so this one has taken a back seat.
Hope to finish it off when it gets a bit warmer.
Mostly happy with the project but there are things I'd like to do better.
Thanks
Peter

ShawnK

« Reply #58 on: Thursday, 10 August, 2023, 12:26:39 PM »

Long way from Melbourne sorry. Up in Echuca.
I've been crook for a while so this one has taken a back seat.
Hope to finish it off when it gets a bit warmer.
Mostly happy with the project but there are things I'd like to do better.
Thanks
Peter

Yes, it's a long way from Melbourne to Echuca.
Hope your project is progressing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: