The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 26 April, 2024, 07:26:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FIND US ON FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/groups/purviseureka/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Source for roof rubber needed.  (Read 12550 times)
jacko
Forum Member only

« on: Monday, 21 November, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »

Hello all

Can anyone  reccomend a good place to get a roof rubber as the tassie  rare spares  has nothing to  do the job.  I am so tired of that clunk as the roof shuts.
        also I want to buy some  metal mesh for the elephant ears???

any ideas  are appreciated   ...cheers     Jacko...........ever so close to driving on the road legally! Roll Eyes
Morris
CLUB Member

« Reply #1 on: Monday, 21 November, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »

G Day Mark
Here in Vic. we have a chain of stores called Clark Rubber who sell all sorts of rubber mouldings by the meter. There must be some similar suppliers in Tas. The hard bit will be sorting out what cross section shape will fit best.
Good Luck  Morris
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #2 on: Monday, 21 November, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »

Had a quick look, looks like Clarke Rubber isn't in the Apple Isle. Looking a bit more, I find Purple Pig (WTF? lol), and Ormistion Rubber Co. with locations in Tassie. You're looking for something along the lines of extruded rubber is a 'D' shape, no more than 1" in thickness. With the roof down it will squash out and offer a wider cross section to help stop the roof creaking & groaning against the tub.

You'll need to measure the 'rim' of the cockpit, probably a length of string and some tape to hold it in place. Then measure your string. Tada! One 'reek I saw had two strips of 1" extruded 'D' section foam about 2 inches apart on the underside of his roof. He had the section where the ends meet so they were staggered on either side of the cockpit to help keep any rain from leaking into the cockpit. I guess if you were going to use two strips of extruded rubber, you could probably have a smaller cross section than 1".

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #3 on: Monday, 21 November, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »

Oh for the metal mesh for the elephant ears, you can try looking at the various auto parts stores for metal mesh (ricers use the stuff in the front air dams, etc), or even hardware stores (think of the mesh used to help keep your gutters clean on your house). Doesn't have to be metal, could be plastic (the gutter stuff will probably just be plastic).

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

jacko
Forum Member only

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, 12:11:01 AM »

Thanks Cyco for the research,

I live a few hours from anywhere so its always hard  to shop  and Tassie is limited at best.

Can you recall the parts  for kit cars address  in the UK  ? ...I saw it somewhere on this  forum..it had mesh but I have  forgotten where. I saw the link.

Cheers all                 Jacko.
jacko
Forum Member only

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, 12:21:51 AM »

Hi Cyco

are there pics with your post? I cant see them, only red  X  sign.   Huh??
Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »

KITKAR SHOP

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, 07:50:20 AM »

Hi Jacko,
             You'll need 6 metres of roof seal. Done this job a few times now. Pull your roof right off, turn it upside down and use Sikaflex to bond the seal to the underside of your roof. Don't be scared of using plenty of masking tape to hold it down while the Sikaflex dries. Bastard of a job, so do it right the first time.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, 10:10:16 AM »

Hi Cyco

are there pics with your post? I cant see them, only red  X  sign.   Huh??

No probs. No photos, just the two links in my first post. Only photo is in my Sig, maybe you got confused with that. 

Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »

Hi
Which sikaflex did you use Simon?
There is around 20 different types and that's not including colors.
Andrew

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
jacko
Forum Member only

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »

Thanks guys, for the advice and links too.

I see Sterling in U.S.  have  a self adhesive roof rubber in a price similar to stuff here in Tassie.  ..might be the go?

cheers  all      Jacko
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, 23 November, 2011, 07:50:21 AM »

Hi Andrew,
                  Missed you at Mildura this year mate. I use the automotive sikaflex with high adhesion properties in black. I use the stuff for everything. Windscreens, side screens, mounting aluminium brackets to fibreglass. I've seen near whole cars glued together by bodgy smash repairers. It's the poo.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, 23 November, 2011, 09:33:54 AM »

I agree with Simon.
Bl*****y sticky stuff, gets everywhere, it's expensive, but it's the bee's knees.

There's nothing that Sikaflex wont fix.

I've just put back my lower panels and found they fit well (strangely) and was going to leave them as they are without a rubber as a gasket, but then I tried the Sikaflex. I ran a bead over the joint (using masking tape) and it looks great. Nice n smooth.
I use it for the windscreen (apart from other things). I had to remove the screen and found it very difficult.

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
barsted
CLUB Member

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, 23 November, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »

I used plain old superglue to stick my roof seal in place. It's been there for 3 years so far with no dramas. The seal came from Clark Rubber but I think it could have been thinner than the 10mm or so that it is when compressed, as I think that what causes the L/H side of the front edge of the roof to sit a bit high. I suspect that there is less room in the moulded shape on the L/H than on the R/H as every car I have looked at is the same and I know mine fitted PERFECTLY when I tried it without any seal fitted.

Ted
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, 23 November, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »

Now you mention it Ted, I remember that being said before. That the roof fits really well when you sit it on the tub, but sits a little proud when you put the rubber seals on.

You could try the stuff from the Stirling mob, just remember to factor in shipping into the price.
 Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: