The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 20 April, 2024, 06:54:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FIND US ON FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/groups/purviseureka/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: scissor doors/wind-up windows  (Read 3543 times)
rossie273
« on: Wednesday, 24 August, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »

Here's a little project for you budding mechanical nut-heads out there. I am designing Scissor doors for a Eureka & also - YES ! wind-up windows to suit. Since I've parted with my V6 I find I'm aimlessly roaming about my garage with nothing to do. It hasn't actually left yet (it's waiting for the truck to arrive) . I've been putting pencil marks on it and taking measurements in readiness for the assault on my next Victim(Eureka). I don't know if anyone else out there has experienced this but there is a certain "nervousness" about having your ex pride & joy sitting about still in your care. You start thinking things like " what happens if it catches on fire or some pr#ck breaks in & steals it". How do I tell the expectant owner ? I have decided to buy another (my 4th). It will be VW powered- probably 1800cc with a hair-dryer. Having worked with EFI on the V6 , I've become a fan... so simple..... so easy to work on once you've got your head around it.
Russell   
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 24 August, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »

Hi Russell,
                I've gone through the whole scissor door process on my black reek a few years ago. My roof was originally 'glassed down onto the body with pathetic door cutouts after the quarter windows tapering off to the roof overhang at the rear. I spent a lot of time and expense having strong custom hinges made, custom air rams to push the doors up and modifying the inside of the forward roof section to hide the ram bodies.

In the end, even though it all worked beautifully, I didn't like them. There just wasn't enough of a door to make the desired impact or look the part. It still looked pathetic. I thereby made the call to separate the roof from the body and return it to the way it was: simple, effective, impressive.

Your wind-up windows suggest you'll probably be needing more door real estate to work properly, meaning you'll probably need to cut into the body tub to get it. I'd advise against this for strength and legality reasons. However, I'd still be interested to see how you propose to do it.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 25 August, 2011, 04:22:57 AM »

Dare I suggest you try tracking down one of the few Eagles that reside in Australia, and converting their gullwing doors to scissor doors? Though you're just going from one impressive way of opening a door to another. And as there are not many here in Oz (3 I'm lead to believe, but that was from info on an auction on eBay), you'd have more luck finding a needle in a haystack.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: