The Purvis Eureka Forum
Wednesday, 24 April, 2024, 09:14:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This FORUM is brought to you by the members of the Purvis Eureka Car Club of Australia.
Please consider supporting the CLUB and supporting the Marque by becoming a Club Member

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new reek  (Read 23768 times)
WYKED1
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, 06 July, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »

Just dig a hole Simon I'm sure Susie can read and more than likely use a shovel  Grin
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, 06 July, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »

Hi

Why not just use Susie's motor she would not mind Wink
Would not take long for you to knock up a alloy radiator and fittings
So

One weekend remove motors
Second weekend make radiator
Third weekend prewire run hoses
Fourth fit motor add fluids
Fifth weekend Move when Susie finds her motor missing

Andrew

Go on do it

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #17 on: Monday, 18 July, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »

"Not happy Jan".
                        Too much rust under all the hydraulic fluid-soaked cardboard/plastic/bog/chicken wire. I'd hoped the fluid would've protected the metal but no. Too much to cut and replace a couple of sections here and there. It had to be done properly.

It took me a weekend (9th -10th July) to strip the body off and remove the existing pans and another (16th-17th) to weld in new ones and put the body back on the chassis. No shortcuts: new pans were puddle welded every 30mm then seam sealed, then the underside was sprayed with stone guard. While I was there I put a new gearshaft nylon in and sealed the body back onto the chassis with a new VW seal kit.

Check the little fella's face when he see's what I've done to "his" car!

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
redreek(the stig)
CLUB Member

« Reply #18 on: Monday, 18 July, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »

rrrrrrrrrrrust
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #19 on: Monday, 18 July, 2011, 11:12:55 AM »

Here's the result.
                          I banged her back down and put the body back on about an hour after this shot. The body and chassis holes lined up spot on, so I must've done it right!

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #20 on: Monday, 18 July, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »

Hi
Thought you would have lowered the halfs for seat room

Andrew

The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #21 on: Monday, 18 July, 2011, 11:04:42 PM »

Hi mate,
               Unlike your oversize self, I'm in the perfect driving position when I use standard pans and seat rails that sit the seats close to the floor. I had the opportunity to move the gearstick/handbrake backwards too, but again, bending the gearstick down low so the knob is in a better position is all I've been doing for years.

I'll cut a hole in the transmission tunnel at the clutch cable/pedal linkage so checking/changing the cable will be a breeze. I'll also cut one in the 'glass at the unijoint end of the gearshaft for future easy access. After putting the shaft back in I renewed the unijoint anyway.

I hate the sloppy gear changes on these cars (it's this point alone that started me on the path rebuilding my black reek) so I've slotted the stick end of the gearshaft to use the later model stick with a dowel in the bulb. So far it appears to be working well.

Simon

Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #22 on: Monday, 18 July, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »

Hi

Oversized?Huh? I fit in my clothes ok!

Andrew

The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #23 on: Monday, 18 July, 2011, 11:31:20 PM »

Wink Grin

Slug52
Forum Member only

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, 21 July, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »

Hey Sime Baby you really owe it to yourself (and the car) to put that gear shift where it needs to be - we both know where that is - it's a bit of stuffing around but there's no shame in asking for help should you run into that ol' brick wall. Why not bite the bullet now and maybe throw some POR 15 paint on the chassis while you're having fun? The POR 15 is also a heavier paint -might even make welding seams look a little tidier as a further bonus! Either way you win - it'll take your driving experience up several notches, guaranteed! More importantly, you'll feel a genuine sense of personal satisfaction knowing you bit the bullet and pushed the envelope. Good luck! Slug.
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, 21 July, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »

Hi
Having seen Simon's welding i think a coat of clear would be best.
Gear shift will work best for his size as he said in other post

Andrew

The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, 21 July, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

Thanks for that Andrew!
                                    It's a bit difficult to explain to forum members who haven't seen the standard of my work.
Heya Slug, as I said at the very start of this thread, this reek is a smash build: a car I'll put together as quickly as possible with a "loose" budget, the target being Mildura in Oct. Yes I could've used POR 15 everywhere but I would've wanted to do it right and pulled the trailing arms and front end off and basically everything that could be removed: just like I did with my black reek (see below).

And that means I would've renewed everything while I was there: new ball joints, nylothane inserts etc everywhere: a lot of time and un-necessary expense. A "loose" budget means I'll spend a little more in areas I choose: disc brake rear, Momo steering wheel, suede and carbon fibre dash. Stuff that will "take my driving experience up several notches".

The primary goal is to have this car roadworthy for Mildura, no matter what it looks like. My black reek is where I've "pushed the envelope".

Enough about mine; will yours be there? Wearing my old wheels? Another black reek would be cool.

Simon

Slug52
Forum Member only

« Reply #27 on: Friday, 22 July, 2011, 12:13:24 PM »

Houston...........we may have a problem! After looking at your photo Simon, we may well have a hard time figuring out which black Eureka is which in Mildura. If it comes down to the number plates - for the record....mine are stock standard Vic black and whites. The dyno at this stage says leave those 4 stud wheels at home - for obvious reasons. Either that or I try and back her off a bit at one of the blowers. Regards, Slug.
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #28 on: Saturday, 23 July, 2011, 11:04:48 AM »

Eeerr,
              So that's a no to the wheels and a yes to a high HP reek. Good. I look forward to seeing it.

Simon

Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #29 on: Friday, 19 August, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »

OK Simon, as promised, (when I got back), beware, I'm back.

Here's that now famous Video from back in 2007 Ballarat National Meet

Enjoy guys

http://youtu.be/NkKxZqORi4k

or you might find it here

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: