The Purvis Eureka Forum
Thursday, 25 April, 2024, 07:22:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new reek  (Read 23769 times)
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« on: Monday, 04 July, 2011, 12:50:16 AM »

Hi kids,
            I thought I'd post pics of the smash-build of my new reek online in preparation for Mildura. Here's the way I found it. She'd been stationary for more than 12-15 years, but not in too bad nick. The donk is a 2 L Kombi twin carb with an  IRS rear, decent electrics, and a hydraulic roof.

I bought the car with the intention of (a) getting the enjoyment from driving one regularly again because my primary reek is still taking too long, and (b) the car was only half dead compared to the several others I've seen over the past couple of years.

This will be a loose budget build. I've easily got enough spares lying around the place to put the new one together cheaply but it'll still have all my usual custom touches: Pulsar steering column, widened pedal set, custom dash and fully adjustable seat mounts. The idea is to have it finished in late Sept, regoed and have time to drive it and sort the gremlins before Oct.

Lets see how we go....

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #1 on: Monday, 04 July, 2011, 01:24:17 AM »

First weekend at home: 4th-5th June,
                                                     Checked the oil level after ringing Anthony to find out where the dipstick was. Oil was clean as: a good sign. Bypassed the fuel tank because I couldn't smell petrol at the fuel filler neck: a bad sign. Using the existing electrics at the dash the motor started after the third kick for the first time in (x) years. It wasn't happy at first but unbelievably, after a couple of minutes it settled down to rough idle. Gee's these donks are unreal.

Put fluid in the roof pump and was surprized to see the system self-bleed and start raising the roof. Bloody thing stayed there perfectly still too. Another bonus. Pulled the motor and tank on Sun. Tank was half full. Interesting. I'll get a bucket...

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
WYKED1
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 04 July, 2011, 01:31:22 AM »

Simon.

You didn't blow it up  Whistle like you and Dragan did mine a few years ago  Grin
good luck mate and yes you bloody better get it to Mildura
seeya then
Gota find that video of you and Dragan got be here somewhere

james
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #3 on: Monday, 04 July, 2011, 01:42:18 AM »

I just knew you'd bring that up mate.
                                                                  Long term this reek will get a rotor so you can have this donk then if you're still upset about Ballarat. Dub donks are a dime a dozen, aren't they?

Weekend 2: Fabricate up a fuel tank or two. One for me, one for Cyc-baby. My 80L get real tank is pictured. Cyc-baby's is 68 L at his request. I would've slotted her in as well but after stripping the gunk off the floor pans I've found more rust than I wanted to. I could put  two new side pans in with the body on but I've chosen to do it properly and pull the body off, so I'll leave the tank out for now.

Pulled the entire interior out. Began modifying the dash as necessary. I'll pull my custom Sparco suede covers off my other reek seats( they were to be recovered anyway) and pull them over the new seats. In fact, I'll use the whole original suede/velour interior from the black reek because it is all being renewed. That'll save me stuffing around.

Simon 

WYKED1
« Reply #4 on: Monday, 04 July, 2011, 01:45:26 AM »

Got ya  Cry
WYKED1
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 04 July, 2011, 02:06:00 AM »

Does anyone have a copy of that video from Ballarat
if so can you please put it up somewhere so we can watch it.
jokes aside the car in question had not moved for over 20 something years and we found it at our Ballarat meet and with a lot of laughing and fun Simon and Dragan and my tears they got the bloody thing to start even if it was only for a minute.(bloody great work I reckon)
This video is worth watching to see the kind of stuff that we get up to in this club I have not stopped laughing at the antics of this video
roll on Mildura
never know what you find do ya
james
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #6 on: Monday, 04 July, 2011, 07:38:34 AM »

Hi

Well done
Should make a good run around

Been working on mine all day today just the usual 6 hours on one item just to start again and 4 hours after that one mount made.

So at this rate it will be 2020 when i am finished around the same time as your black one.

Andrew

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
CyCo

« Reply #7 on: Monday, 04 July, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »

Looks like a great starting point Simon. Where did this one come from?

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 05 July, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »

Yeh James

I got a copy of that Video.
Trouble is that it's at home.
I'll put it up on YT when I get back.

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
WYKED1
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, 05 July, 2011, 11:01:51 PM »

Thanks mate
its good for a laugh Grin
james
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 06 July, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »

Hi Cyc-baby,
                  The reek originally belonged to Sassy, an occasional visitor to this forum. He asked me to look at it at his home in Merrylands (Syd) about this time last year. I was looking at a reek that was on it's way to being dead, but was still saveable.

For everyones ease: I've coined the phrase "dead reek" elsewhere on this site. For me, this means a reek that the body/'glass is good but everything else needs major attention: engine, interior, wiring, paint. "Half dead" refers to a reek that has enough good points to be realistically/financially saveable without too many dramas. This was how I pronounced Sassy's reek.

Anyway, Sassy wasn't quite prepared to part with it at that stage. I got a call again recently, had another look and the deal was done. He is genuinely happy I'm saving it as I make sure I send him the progress pics I'm uploading here.

I'm also resisting the temptation to canabalise my black reek to a degree to get the red one running. Only the easy stuff: coil-over suspension, Pulsar column, mag wheels. I'll make those decisions further down the track.

Simon

ireek
Forum Member only

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, 06 July, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »

Hi Simon,
ireek
Forum Member only

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, 06 July, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »

Hi Simon,

Good to see your reek. Looks good in photos. I know where a rotary adapter and 12a(needs rebuild) if you want to make a deal down the track, you know i like vw motors.

Anthony
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, 06 July, 2011, 09:35:09 AM »

And you know I love rotors! Come to daddy baby!
                                                                                   Oooooooo. (Remaining mental gears grinding). Have I got the time? No. And too much additional effort too. OMG the temptation!

Yes mate, we'll definately be doing a deal down the track. Thanks!

Simon

PS: Hmmmm. A quiet little periphal port, Injection Perfection throttle body, strewth, I'll even swipe the Microtech computer off Susie's rotor while she's not looking...

Toxic-Rock
Forum Member only

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, 06 July, 2011, 10:56:12 AM »

Careful Simon,

I'm sure she can read.lol

Regards

Rock
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: