The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 19 April, 2024, 01:16:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB WEB SITE
http://www.purviseurekacarclub.com.au

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AP's PL30-F4 Rebuild  (Read 6252 times)
Jouster
PECCoA MEMBER

« on: Saturday, 18 June, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »

Ok so I've purchase a car to rebuild with the old man. It's in good shape but pretty much everything is going to be rebuilt regardless.

The plan is to stay completely true to the original styling while upgrading the mechanicals as much as humanly possible. This could (will) change on a whim so it's anybodies guess what the end result will be. He seems more concerned with looks, I'm all about how it goes, stops and turns. Should be an interesting project if we both survive...which is 50/50 at best based on the last 38 years!!

I figured I should keep some sort of diary on the rebuild just to document everything. Mainly so there's no confusion in Dad's head as to who did all the work when the car's finished and I hand him the keys.

10 Jan 2011 - Random phone call to Paul Patton leads to him telling me about a wreck that I might be interested in.

15 Jan 2011 - Go look at the car. Paul was right....it was a wreck. Make an offer...and buy the car. Bargain....don't ask.

15 Jan 2011 - Where to put it?? Call Dad. "If you can make enough space in your 3 car garage to fit 1 car I'll buy you a Eureka". "Deal" he says. "Good, I've already bought it"

15 Jan 2011 - Garage empty begins...and continues around the clock for the next 2 weeks.

29 Jan 2011 - Pick up the car. Trailer it back to Dad's place. First wash for the car. Why, I have no idea. He just has enough room to close the garage door.

Feb 2011 - Clean out the old rubbish, parts, engines, etc the owner "included" with the car.

May 2011 - Take body off chassis and trailer chassis to Australian VW Performance Centre to have gearstick and handbrake moved back 200mm. First thing we've agreed on. This might actually work out??

June 2011 - Order new AIM dash / data logger to replace gauges we don't actually have. Order Wilwood pedal cluster, master cylinders, clutch slave cylinder, brake bias adjuster, etc, etc. Sister makes the mistake of going to America for a holiday and is now bringing back a suitcase full of other random parts we need (want) also.

June 2011 - Dad wants to keep all receipts. I tell him it's a bad idea. He insists. I tell him if Tara ever finds that box I will sell the car.

June 2011 - Teach Dad how to fibreglass again?? I guess he forgot after 20 years?? I reckon he was stooging and didn't want to get messy.

That's about it for now. Lots of work to do, parts to buy, more work to do. I've posted some pics in the PhotoBucket thing. I'll try to add some here as we go along. Currently not alot to look at really.

Catch ya
Shane Purvis
WYKED1
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 19 June, 2011, 12:04:48 AM »

Shane.

Great news about the car
but I agree with the  June 2011 keeping track of costs  Whistle
somethings you just dont want to know cause of possible reprecussions from other half LOL
best wishes
James
P.S. Work all night and get it to Mildura  Grin
CyCo

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 19 June, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »

Awesome!! Keep us posted on the rebuild. After all, in those first photos, it doesn't look like a wreck, just a rebuild waiting to happen!

Wink Cheesy  Grin

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Jouster
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #3 on: Friday, 24 June, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »

The car is actually in pretty good shape. I'm just a fussy bastard and the old man is in too much of a hurry. I think it's fair to say Mildura is absolutely no chance. Maybe the year after if we're lucky I reckon.

Looks like the boys at Aus VW Performance have agreed to give up their race engine to stick in the car. I can't even begin to repeat half the gear Dags said was in it but I've seen the motor in action and the thing has plenty of hp. Very happy they agreed to sell it. I reckon I got very very lucky.

Should have another update once the chassis is back.
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 25 June, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »

Hmmm.
              The reek I just bought is in worse condition than that. But I chose a car I can call in a lot of favours on so I fully expect to have it at Mildura. It won't be fancy but it'll be there and fully functional.

Simon

PS. I'm loving the give and take between yourself and the old man Shane, but you guys are digging yourselves a hole regarding keeping the reciepts for the project from your women. You just know it's going to end badly! (This from the man that bought a reek without the missus knowing and half expected to get away with it...  the fool!)

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: