The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 19 April, 2024, 07:11:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB WEB SITE
http://www.purviseurekacarclub.com.au

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They are still out there.  (Read 10496 times)
mr930
Forum Member only

« on: Monday, 21 February, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »

My neighbour just picked up a F4 in really good nick. Powered by a 1200 datsun, irs floorpan, big dragways, full leater trim, great paint. Been sitting since 1996 with old Vic rego and all receipts etc. Was regoed as a 79 Purvis.  I'll put pics up soon.
mr930
Forum Member only

« Reply #1 on: Monday, 21 February, 2011, 10:35:05 AM »

The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #2 on: Monday, 21 February, 2011, 11:04:40 AM »

Thats a new one to me.             
                                   Very nice. Square lower undersill means it's possibly one of the last. But what the hell is the yellow thing in the shed?

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
jacko
Forum Member only

« Reply #3 on: Monday, 21 February, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »

Oh Man!  That is  so nice ..
That dash looks  unreal..

There is still hope  for me to find  one yet. :Smiley
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #4 on: Monday, 21 February, 2011, 12:04:56 PM »

Yeah, looks like a XCL or whatever Coleen Long called it. Interesting choice of donk, though they went well in rallies. That dash looks like two PL30/F4 dash pods 'glassed together. Interesting idea, and one I hadn't thought of or seen before. Should help track down previous owners if needed.

Looks like it has a manual targa roof. I recommend an upgrade of the lifting systems.   Wink

As for the yellow thing in the shed, I'm betting on a Messerschmitt, though which model I wouldn't have a clue.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

mr930
Forum Member only

« Reply #5 on: Monday, 21 February, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »

Yes apparently this was factory built. Has had the same owner for the last 25 years. The roof is hydraulic (boat style), we are still looking for the resevoir to top it up, interesting feature here is the elephant ear lists up on a gas ram and the pump is located inside.
The car in the shed is a Messerschmitt and is undergoing restoration.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, 22 February, 2011, 12:32:26 AM »

Depending on the pump design, the resevoir is part of the pump assembly. From the sound of where your's is installed, it could be a stone cold B**** to get to. It's not under the bonnet?

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, 22 February, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »

If Cyco can post a pic of his old pump it may help. but basically they are often a now very rusty version of this one, but mounted vertically - http://www.octopusmarine.ca/content/products-and-services/cra.htm

Ask and you shall receive. I was at work making that last post, and access to my Photobucket account is not great from there.

It's the cylinder laying on it's side above the battery. 

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

redreek(the stig)
CLUB Member

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »

hey Mark
How long before you buy enother eureka.
..Darren
StuFarny
Forum Member only

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »

The hydraulic pump you have is the same as I have in my Car, they are originally from Ford Mustang Convertibles, which operate the soft top. The oil reservoir is on the right side of your unit, Mine is mounted vertically for easy access and refilling.
You may want to consider relocating it vertical as well. There is a small flat head screw situated on the right end, which is where you fill it up from, the Centre 3 sided "Nut" in the same area is clamping the entire pump reservoir to the pump, so "DONT UNDO IT" otherwise you will have oil everywhere!. Basically the pump sits on top of the motor, and the right cylinder is just that, a cylinder with a rubber seal holding in the oil via a long bolt which the nut is in the centre on the right end, with an end with the filler hole, and another rubber seal.
If the "Filler" Nut is at or near the top of the cylinder, you may be able to top it up, to the same level as the hole, and this will give you enough oil to run the unit.
As Ron said in an earlier message, its best to fill it up when the Roof is DOWN, as the reservoir is at its fullest when the roof is down.
ALTHOUGH, that would apply if your pump was mounted vertical like mine is where you can fill it up to overflowing.
Seeing yours is horizontal, and it would have some air in it, you may be able to put the roof up, which would suck out more oil, and hence you could fill it up then, but be aware that when the roof is down, the oil level in the reservoir, will be above the filler hole.
Just a handy tip, if you go to the trouble of relocating your pump vertical, then while you are at it, remove as many hydraulic hoses and fittings "OUTSIDE" of the cabin area. You never know when one of them hoses or fittings are going to "BLOW" and spray your interior with oil - Im speaking from experience here!, Thats why all my hoses are now done this way.
You will find that normal Automatic Transmission oil is suitable for filling your pump. If it has something different in it already, like Engine oil, then get it all out first, you shouldnt run Engine oil in them, its too thick. Perhaps safe bet is to empty the unit out and put new oil in anyway.

Hope this is a big help

Stuart
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, 01:15:46 PM »

Stewart, we don't know what his pump is yet. I think you're confused because of my photo of the old setup showing the pump. I just posted that photo to help work out what pump he may be running. As an aside, that pump was also used to raise/lower the blade on snowplows as well.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

StReek
Forum Member only

The StReek

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, 24 February, 2011, 03:16:55 PM »

The pictured pump is the same as in the front of Dodgy.  That one is also mounted on its side so I attached a flexible hose to a small funnel and ever so gently put the fluid in that way.  Just a little at a time then opearate the roof a few times then add a little more and do the same again.  takes no time at all and works a treat.   I packed absorbant towel around the opening just in case of spillage but really just take your time and it's no problems.  With no leaks in the system you'll probably only have to do it once.

All the best all, tomorrow is a Eureka day.   Out driving all day in the beautiful sunshine. 

Can't wait to put some miles on the old bugga.  Did about 150 k's two weekends ago and it was fantastic.

Reek On

StReek

There's no point applying the brakes when you're sliding on your roof...
StuFarny
Forum Member only

« Reply #12 on: Friday, 25 February, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »

DOH!!!, Sorry, I thought that was his car, not your car Richard. Oh well, at least that clears up one type of pump anyway.

Stu
34hup
Forum Member only

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, 20 March, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »

This car has some of the same features as my old car had. The square undersill, the dash is exactly the same before I modified it. I thought mine was a bitsa but maybe it wasn't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: