The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 08:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FIND US ON FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/groups/purviseureka/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unbelievable Garage Find!!! - ex Shane Purvis Reek  (Read 7168 times)
WebGoat
aka Paul Patton.
Administrator

Morph, Goat, Reek, whatever.....

« on: Friday, 28 January, 2011, 08:58:45 AM »

G'day gang,

So, Terry rings Ron, courtesy of the Club listing in Just Cars, to say he has a Eureka and would like to sell it.  He tells Ron he bought the car off "Allan Purvis' son about 6 or 8 years ago" but he hasn't driven it since so he'd like someone to assess it's worth so he can sell it.  So Ron passes the info onto me and I go and look at the car so here's some photos on our photobucket site.

http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/rr166/eurekacarclub/Garage%20find%20%20ex%20Shane%20Purvis/

It's a red F4 on an IRS pan with a twin carby type 3 engine it, elephants ears and Linak electric roof lifters and it is still currently Victorian registered!  It is painted red but was originally black gelcoat that had faded beyond restoration when Shane got hold of it and the cabin interior, under the bonnet, guards etc are all still black gelcoat which really looks the goods I reckon.  Afro

Both Shane and Terry reckon they swapped ownership of it "6 or 8 years ago" but the rego sticker on the windscreen expired in 1996 so how time flies when you're having fun eh! Shocked  Terry showed me the currently paid up rego certificate which expires in August this year so it is definitely still registered, Grin it's just been in Terry's garage since 1996 gathering dust (and R/C model aeroplanes). Cheesy  You can see from the buildup of debris under the back of it that it hasn't moved in ages.  Terry and I had to drill out the rivets to remove the padbolt from the garage door to get in to look at it. :Smiley

All it needs to get it going it is a wash and a vacuum as well as 2 side window latches (Terry has 2 newly cut (1996??) side windows), a new battery and a new exterior electric roof keylock (ex Holden station wagon tailgate) and the usual engine, brakes, tyres, wiper blade etc to be checked.  It got stolen out of Terry's driveway Embarrassed by a couple of kids who smashed the side windows and latches and roof keyswitch then piled in through the windows and still couldn't work out how to raise the roof  Wink so they finished up rolling it down the street and around the corner before running away and leaving it there.  So it was back in Terry's garage that same night.  Terry got 2 new side windows cut then rang Shane to find out where to get some new window latches and a keylock but he never got any further than that and it has sat in his garage ever since. Smiley

Apart from the thick coat of dust it looks just as schmick as when Shane sold it all that time ago.  Cheesy

Terry and the car are in Westmeadows near the Melbourne airport and he is asking $10,000 for it and from my experience it's worth every cent of that so if you are looking for a top quality F4 with minimal work needing to be done to it then please give Terry a ring on 0418 574 198.  Terry is starting to get on a bit and he feels he needs to clear out the stuff he doesn't use anymore but it has not been advertised anywhere else and he is no rush to sell it.  Cool

I was gobsmacked when we finally got into the garage!  Smiley Grin Shocked Huh? Cool Afro

PP.

Caution: This product may contain nuts!
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #1 on: Friday, 28 January, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »

Damn, that's awesome. I'm sure I remember a tale being told (at a meet or even on the old MSN forums maybe?) about someones 'reek being nicked in a very similar way, but that wasn't in '96. Maybe just a similar tale?

Anyway, that will be a smick unit when it's cleaned up. Anyone got in contact with the Purvis clan? Are they still looking for a 'reek? Wouldn't that be great, they get a 'family' back?

Afro

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

redreek(the stig)
CLUB Member

« Reply #2 on: Friday, 28 January, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »

Looks like my shed with the virgin reek and RC planes everywhere.
34hup
Forum Member only

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 29 January, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »

Hey Paul,

15 years without turning over or turning the wheels, sitting on the tread and not on blocks....ummm 10k......?
Tyres, wheel bearings, wheel cylinders, calipers, all the rubbers, shocks. As it is a VW and if no moisture then the engine might be ok but the tank unless dry will have condensate and probably need to be replaced. I supose a few extra g's and you are up and running and it is registered so that is worth something.

Just my opinion, but a gem find all the sames. Shows they are still out there.

Kym
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 29 January, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »

Hi

Having pulled a number of old VW's out of barns and other resting places would guess it would run fine my Buick sat for 20 + years and run like a clock even runs on the 20 year old fuel once started with aerostart.
I would expect tyres to be the only problem rubber goes hard and may have flat spots all in all a new set of tyres should not be a problem
So to me $10K is a bargin.

Wife has said "NO" for me to buy of course 

Andrew

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
StReek
Forum Member only

The StReek

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 30 January, 2011, 02:43:03 AM »

What a great find, $10k all day every day no probs there.  Fantastic.  Don't tell me it's still for sale after 3 days please Huh?

Come on SA Reekers, get the word out .........  Smiley

StReek

There's no point applying the brakes when you're sliding on your roof...
Jouster
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 10 February, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »

Maybe I should post up some pics of how the car looked in the flesh before I sold it?? It did look the business that's for sure.

It was a really tight car. We did alot of work on that thing making sure everything was assembled properly and without any silly suprises. It's a very uncomplicated car with pretty much everything done as per the 'full build' cars dad sold towards the end of the business.

Obviously after 15 years of sitting in a shed it will need tyres (which is a pity cause it has new tyres that cost me plenty!!) and a few odds and ends but I wouldn't get too carried away thinking it will need a long list of parts replaced. All the running gear is stock VW which means it's likely to be all fine. It's common for us Formula Vee guys to use 40+ year old parts that have been sitting in paddocks for 20 years without any problems at all.

The roof actuators were brand new, it has the original factory exhaust built at Rex's Exhausts in Dandenong (when Rex owned the place), and the car was barely driven before I owned it!! I don't really want this one back cause it's already been rebuilt to original factory spec and is better to be in someone elses hands.

However....that white over black F4 in Selby...is sold...and getting picked up next weekend. Look out kids...this one's gonna be a pearler!!

Catch ya
Shane

The Bat
Forum Member only

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 10 February, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »

Hey Jouster, It's the Bat.

Since picking the girl up from Terry's all I have done is give her a wash and vacuum (the roof was left up during it's stay in Terry's shed) and she already looks great. The "a" holes that tried to swipe her buggered up the external roof lift key switch and bent one of the right side roof lift bars. Both probs won't be hard to fix. Thanks for doing a good initial build, it's going to make my life a whole lot easier.

I'm not saying I'm BAT MAN it's just we havn't been seen together in the same room
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #8 on: Friday, 11 February, 2011, 01:45:25 AM »

Awesome, so there's a Purvis Eureka back in the Purvis family again. We'll need photos of course.

Cheesy

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

StReek
Forum Member only

The StReek

« Reply #9 on: Friday, 11 February, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »

What did I miss, is the bat related to Shane Huh??  I've been out of the loop obviously.... or were you talking about another Reek ??

StReek

There's no point applying the brakes when you're sliding on your roof...
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #10 on: Friday, 11 February, 2011, 03:27:47 PM »

What did I miss, is the bat related to Shane Huh??  I've been out of the loop obviously.... or were you talking about another Reek ??

StReek

Err...

Bat related to Shane... unknown.

Another 'reek? ...

However....that white over black F4 in Selby...is sold...and getting picked up next weekend. Look out kids...this one's gonna be a pearler!!

Posted by Jouster, aka one Shane Purvis.

Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

The Bat
Forum Member only

« Reply #11 on: Friday, 11 February, 2011, 10:44:33 PM »

Hi gang, hope I can clear things up.
The Bat is not related to Shane. Shane built the Reek and sold it to Terry in Vic. Terry sold the car to the Bat who lives in S.A. The Bat and the Reek are in S.A. and very happy. I must admit even I was getting a bit miffed.

I'm not saying I'm BAT MAN it's just we havn't been seen together in the same room
Jouster
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, 12:08:24 PM »

Further clarification....I bought an F4 to build up with/for dad.

It's basically a complete wreck as far as everything has been pulled apart by the previous owner...right down to taking the wiring and globes out of the lights. But it's pretty straight and seems to be all there. Plus it's been previously registered...!

It's gonna take some time to build cause I'm gonna go right back to square one on it. The plan is to use as many formula vee components and modifications as possible on the running gear. Get the guys who build my race engines to put together a solid 1835 engine with some decent poke, and let dad go a bit silly on the interior, paint and wheels. His last demo car had full leather trim...I'm not looking forward to the bill for that...but it will be worth it.

I've already bought the Mychron dash. It's what we run in the Vee. Full data logging and track mapping might be excessive...but hey...maybe we'll get it out on a kart track one day??

I posted some photos on the facebook page. It seems it's alot easier for quick and nasty pics.

Catch ya
Shane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: