The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 11:43:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB WEB SITE
http://www.purviseurekacarclub.com.au

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VW drag races at Eastern Creek Dragway on 25th Feburary  (Read 14939 times)
ireek
Forum Member only

« on: Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, 10:56:37 AM »

Hi all,

This is a good event that is new this year and put on by Volkswagen magazine. It is for VW cars only and will also include show and shine as well as drag races on the track. The advantage is cars dont have to be registered so if your car is close you may be able to race. For more info look at the website for vw mag listed below. The entry for drag racing has to be done before raceing so if you want to race get in early. I am hoping to go so hope to see all the Sydney siders there as in there back yard.

Anthony

Volkswagen Magazine Australia.
www.vwma.net.au

The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »

How cool is this idea?
                                  I'll be there with bells on! If there's going to be reeks there it'll be a bonus. See you there Anthony. If you're thinking of having a crack at the strip I'll be your pit crew. We'll wear our club shirts and look like professionals, even with a 20 sec timeslip!

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 25 January, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »

Hi

Simon finish your car should be good for 11s
I should finish my should be good for 12s

Let me know how the cars go

Andrew

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 26 January, 2012, 02:47:59 AM »

A bit optimistic mate:
                               A rough estimate using an online speed calculator shows 12 secs flat for my reek with a trap speed of 110 to 125 mph. From experience I know my front end can start to float at 200kph (125mph) so it'd be a case of how big my kahunas were to keep the pedal down over the last 100 ft of the quarter. Sandbags look like the go.

Besides, I'm a drag racing virgin so that'd subtract a second or two!

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 26 January, 2012, 04:08:44 AM »

Hi

Would have thought the front spoiler world have held yours down, sand bags are no good you may need to lower the front to stedy the under car air flow.
We will have to talk  about that i know the stock spoiler has a lifting effect?
Was your experience of lifting an effect from your rear wing? 
I started looking into the areo a few years ago and never finished do remmember that the back lends its self well for a large defuser.

Andrew

Optimistic no- just a goal

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
ireek
Forum Member only

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 26 January, 2012, 05:11:42 AM »

Some more information.

mark these dates on your calendar ; )

Sydney VW Drags Showdown 2012 Event Schedule

Friday 24th February

Track opens at 8am. The gate will be attended and only pre-paid drivers and crew wishing to stay overnight at the track will be admitted. Your tickets will be issued at the gate. No general spectator admittance will be allowed.

Toilets, showers and power are available. Please note that a driver training school will be operating in the centre of the main pit area until 4pm. If you would like to pit in this area then you will have to wait until the school has finished.

The track gates are then locked at 8pm. No late arrivals admitted (VWMA staff will not have a key) and those that are inside can not leave until 8am the next morning.

The Sydney Dragway site - http://www.wsid.com.au  - has a comprehensive list of suitable accommodation alternatives around the vicinity of the track.

An informal gathering of VW enthusiasts will also happen that evening at Dino's Pizza - http://dinospizza.com.au  - from 7pm onwards. Lucky car park prizes, raffles and of course great pizza until 10pm. Dean Hodge will be your host.

Saturday 25th February

Track opens at 8am for competitors and crew, 9am for general spectators.

On the Track:

10am - 12noon:

Scrutineering

12.30pm:

Driver briefing (all drivers to attend). This briefing will also include a demonstration of how the lights work, staging drill, etc for first time racers and those requiring a re-fresher.

1 - 3pm:

Qualifying all classes

3.30 - 7.30pm:

Racing Round Robin non-elimination 4 rounds with final

VVDS Cash Grab!!

Off the Track:

12noon - 4pm:

Show'n'Shine in pit area

3pm - 10.30pm:

RC Drag Racing next to pit area

6pm:

Twilight cruise for all VWs up and down the return road next to the track. Lights on, 10kph limit cruising, music piped over the PA

8pm:

Trophy presentation in event marquee

9pm - Midnight:

live band in event marquee, BYO, food available to purchase from track cafeteria

Midnight:

Gates closed. Gates re-open 8am Sunday for those staying overnight.

midmount
CLUB Member

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 26 January, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »

I can speak from experience here. I have never had the front of my car float at high speed. I acually
find the opposite at speeds over 200k. I will never forget a hill i crested one time so fast that a conventionial
car would have become airboune. I found my shoulders being pressed into the roof. I beleive the secret is in
the ride hight at the front. just look at the pics of my car. The negitive is of corse ,the underside smacks the road
alot.
                        Midmount
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 26 January, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »

Hi Dave,
              As Andrew suggested above, it's still the amount of air I'm getting under the front. Yes I have a decent spoiler but I choose to have the front sitting at a reasonable hieght for everyday practicality: 100 to 110 mm. The front end, however, is now fully adjustable so I can drop it 50mm without getting under the car. That'll probably allow me to go a lot faster.

I've been to about 230 in mine (the VDO writing at the bottom of the guage). How fast have you taken yours?

Simon

midmount
CLUB Member

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, 01 February, 2012, 07:38:57 AM »

Since i turned 50, i have a increased sense of maturity, and donnt break the law anymore. so not sure
what the EJ would do,(real reason is) as i havent had the roof on it for years,  160 topless is my safe limit.
   When i had the Audi motor, would see 6000 rpm in 4th with the bug box, which is around 210, 220ks with
the 225/70R/14s.rears. dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: