The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 20 April, 2024, 01:03:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This FORUM is brought to you by the members of the Purvis Eureka Car Club of Australia.
Please consider supporting the CLUB and supporting the Marque by becoming a Club Member

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perfect engine for a reek  (Read 10145 times)
Phantom_eureka
Forum Member only

« on: Tuesday, 13 April, 2010, 06:19:21 AM »

BMW megatron engine from a 1988 F1 car. 1.4L 4cylinder turbo producing 75+psi boost, capable of upto 800hp.

Legal too  Tongue

Well thats if you have a spare 18,000 euro's
cruetoone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 13 April, 2010, 03:33:08 PM »

what a head turner that motor would be in a eureka i wonder what the exchange rate on the euro to date
is where did you see it... Smiley
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 13 April, 2010, 10:06:55 PM »

No way, those things are complete pigs!
                                                        I'm familiar with these engines and ones like them. The guy across the industrial block from my workshop builds/maintains elite level hillclimb/circuit cars for high dollar customers. His work is mind-blowing.

You need two guys to do a 20 to 30 min fluid warm up cycle requiring special external heaters/pumps. There's no onboard power generation so the pathetic battery is jump-started externally. The engine block has to be a certain temp before the elaborate starting cycle begins.

It starts with a deafening howl and idles at 7000 to 8000 RPM with a race RPM up to 17,000. Take-offs are using a genuine and savage 2 position clutch, which at 8000 RPM means a burnout and at least a 2 G hit in the back.

I'll take a 400hp turbo SR20 anyday...

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 13 April, 2010, 11:06:59 PM »

Hi

Love the BMW motor belive it or not these were a stock block motor you could buy most of the parts to construct one cheaper today and it may even make more HP. The blocks/crank were the conscidered the weak point modern EFI may stop some of these problems as EFI fuel control was in it early days.

I would like this one more (see attached)

It may take 1/2 an hour to start but if you could pay for it you can pay for some one to start it ( I'll take that job)

Attached is the TAG Mclaren v6 turbo made by Porsche

In qualifying made 1500+Hp they would bolt the waste gate closed and dump excess boost through a blow off valve sound would have been out of this world.
This motor was considered to be the most powerfull of its time.

Andrew

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 13 April, 2010, 11:09:42 PM »

Hi
Found better pictures

Andrew

cruetoone
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 15 April, 2010, 09:19:56 AM »

not bad not bad at all ... Afro
tmerivale
« Reply #6 on: Monday, 19 April, 2010, 02:15:10 AM »

my dads reek weighed 750kg

now doing the maths as i would imagine that this motor would weigh less than a feather considering its mainly for a race application you have more hp than weight! many of the drag cars wont even have this power to weight ratio. as far as im concerned it would be completely undriveable on the street would be interesting to drive though down the strip! i doubt that anyone could drive this in a circuit styled race as the height of the eureka would create too much body roll, to fix this the car would have to be lowered to below the legal limit and many thousands of dollars spent on the suspension. makes for a nice dream though lol

oh and another thing the mechanic that does the road worthy probably wont be happy waiting half an hour to test drive it and chances are that your pretty little eureka will be in a million parts by the end of the test drive. 40kmh areas (school zones) would be impossible to take off on.

i was talking to my mate who was telling me one of his close friends has a lambo, anyway he said that it cost him roughly $10 per km to drive on average, so 100km of driving is $1,000- they get this by the servicing and what not, not the juiced that they are putting in to it. to do i think it was a timing belt costs like $7,000 or something and to do a service they basically rebuild the entire engine as it is such high performance! not sure if this would be the case for the megatron or not but im guessing it would be pretty close to it. if you had the money its not an issue, but at the end of the day its still undriveable on the street.

end of my waffling on, lol
cruetoone
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 22 April, 2010, 12:15:52 PM »

that's some serious waffling trev interesting an unique take on stuff.. Cheesy
tmerivale
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 22 April, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »

yeah dave, i think your right, im pretty sure i was bored and tired at the same time the other night when typing that... they need to invent something similar to the breatherlizer, but this one would be for fatigue and it wont let you type if you cant pass the test Smiley

my apologies for boring you guys
cruetoone
« Reply #9 on: Friday, 23 April, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »

it was not boring how did you get that idea ... that invention you are talking about is RSI .... Grin
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 07 July, 2010, 10:39:07 PM »

Hi

Just thourght i would add a motor i am working for another project
Might not fit in a Eureka but would be a talking point

Andrew

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, 07 July, 2010, 11:54:05 PM »

A straight 8!! What project is this? Bloody awesome!!

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, 08 July, 2010, 12:46:19 AM »

Hi

Well was running low on projects to work on so i have started collecting parts for a Hot rod i am thinking of building
Straight 8 was the only way to go i would like it to be a little different

Andrew

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, 08 July, 2010, 06:36:19 AM »

A straight 8 rod. Excellent! I love the sound of a straight 8. What's this 8 from? Make sure you keep us posted.

Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: