The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 30 March, 2024, 01:36:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need to Sell my Eureka  (Read 12198 times)
winny
« on: Tuesday, 26 January, 2010, 12:20:41 PM »

Hi everyone
Joined the forum to sell my Eureka. I am not really sure what it's worth, only know what it has cost me.
I purchased it a few years ago from an ex employer. Since then I have put in the stereo, got it to run, the problem was the carby, and I purchased new mags and tyres 225 / 60 R15 on the front and 265 / 50 R15 on the rear. Before I purchased it had been painted. According to rego papers it is a 1969 VW Chassis with a 1600 engine. Licenced till 22/06/2010 as a roadst, I have been told the rego is worth as much as the vehicle as it is so hard to get them licenced. I have 2 sets of runners and 2 sets of 4 point harnesses I was going to have put in when I got the seats recovered but have run out of money.
It needs a bit of work on the interior.
Can anyone tell me what they think it is worth or if anyone wishes to purchase it PM me.
As I said I need to sell it as I need the money, I wish i could keep it but it is just not possible.
Any suggestions as to value or where I might find a buyer that will look after her would be greatly appreciated.
Here are a few pics to give you an idea of the condition of a great fun little car.

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 26 January, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »

Damn shame to sell that Eureka. Aside from the interior, she looks good. Does the roof work, what type of lifters are used to lift the roof? And do you have the targa panel.

I take it you're still over in WA? There are some over there, including Kym, who sold his and regretted it I believe. He may be interested. I'd say it's probably worth around $5,000 margin from those three photos. Needs work, but it looks like only on the interior, and some carpet would be a huge improvement.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

winny
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, 02:47:27 AM »

Hi CyCo
Yes the roof does work, it has electric lifters they are a bit slow. And yes I do have the Targa Panel.
I was told by someone they would give me $8000.00 for it but they did not follow through with the purchase. I was thinking about $6500.00. Mags and Tyres cost $2500.00 and they have done about 500km. The paint job apparently cost $5000.00 or so I was told, I think that was a bit over priced.
Stereo $500.00 Seat belts and new seat runners about $500.00. I just do not have the time or money to finish it.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, 03:12:06 AM »

$5000 was being conservative, kinda hard to price something with just photos. If the interior was done I'd say you're 'reek was worth around the $8,000 to $10,000 range. These cars are difficult to value due to their nature, each is different.

That aside, do you know what the headlights are from?

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

winny
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, 11:45:46 AM »

Not sure what the head lights are from, the ex employer did say. I will see if I can find out.
tmerivale
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, 01:45:51 PM »

Gday champ, i used to work in a panel shop a few years ago and i had asked them what i full resparay would cost, they said $5,000, that was not a color change if it is a bare metal job or in our back to glass id imagine a fair bit more. that being said i bout some paint and got a mate to paint it a different color (reasonable back yard job) and total cost for me was $3000 on a family sized sedan. i would believe the paint is worth $5000 if done recently, if it was done years ago, then no depending on how far back it would be acrylic not 2pac. 2pac is far more superior in the sense of being long lasting. personally not a fan of water based paint but there are others that cant stop raving about it.

in regards to the rest i cant say anything as i dont know BUT your reek is worth whatever the buyer is prepared to pay for it. i paid roughly 4,500 for mine, and it isnt that great at the moment, no seats no gauges, actually only interior is the dash but gelcoat is in good nick and it has had previous rego in my state which means no need for engineers if nothing further is changed. also it was reasonably close. So for me 4,500 was worth it, had i travelled to buy it to sydney to pick up some for the 3k to 3500 it would have been more expensive for me in the sense off petrol and also engineers and what not. there are some i have seen advertised complete for 35000 and others with minimal work for 3000, so itis impossible to say what it is "worth" selective buyers means low amount of buyers... either sit tight for a good price or drop it real low to get rid of it... good luck with your sale

if the worst comes to the worst and you need to strip it and sell it in parts pm me, might be interested in a few things. i hope it doesnt come to that because its a nice looking machine you have sitting there!
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »

Hi guys.
              Be aware, the reek is actually a far easier car to paint than a normal car: the panels can be easily removed and worked on before being placed in the booth for paint. So prices for a decent job should start around 4 gorillas. Two pack paint is about 1.5 to 2 depending on brand and quantity. And yes, two pack is a far superior paint. I've actually written a full article on paint for the magazine Custom Kit Car which should be available in the next two weeks or so.

Winny, from what I see in your photos you should definately be asking a minimum of 6.5. The paint alone is the big seller. The hard/expensive work has been done so the buyer should realise this.

Tmerivale is right when he says it's worth whatever the buyer is prepared to pay. I know of a high quality sports I did a lot of work on that sold for 50 G's. The car was a standard 1600 VW with good paint and 20" wheels but other than that, nothing specail. The guy found the right buyer. Good luck selling yours.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
winny
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 28 January, 2010, 01:31:54 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone, It seems that I am asking about the right price from what you are all saying.
I just have to find a buyer. I think I will put an add in a few different papers and see what happens.
I took it for a drive yesterday and quite a few people took pics and seemed interested and 1 person said he will be in touch, it is just what he had been looking for.
Thanks to you all again. As I said before any info you can give is greatly appreciated.
Andrew
WebGoat
aka Paul Patton.
Administrator

Morph, Goat, Reek, whatever.....

« Reply #8 on: Friday, 29 January, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »

G'day Andrew,

Your Reek is actually a copy of a Reek made in WA in the early '80's known as a MAKO according to my "sources".  These MAKO's differ from a Reek by the rear undersill, dashboard, the flat windscreen and the external lip joining the front undersill to the body tub which is usually covered by a large-ish D or U shaped rubber section that presses onto this "lip" to form a sort of small bumper bar.  There are probably a few other subtle differences too but they are the big differences.

I've been told there were only about 8 of them made after which time the maker gave up trying to get them registered as MAKOs since the rego department wouldn't recognise them as anything else but Purvis Eurekas.  I know of the existence of 4 of them which includes yours and one other on this forum owned by Rod (Qldsports).  I asked Allan Purvis about them at Mildura last year and he couldn't remember anything about them.

Are they worth any less or more than a Reek?  I doubt it.  Maybe they would be worth less to Allan Purvis or to a Purvis Eureka purist but other than that I reckon you're pretty much right with the prices being tossed around here.

I have some camera phone photos of your car which were emailed to me a few years ago (same rego number) probably by your employer (or maybe it was you) when it still had VW steel wheels on it.

PP.
aka The WebGoat
Secretary - Purvis Eureka Car Club of Australia
phone 0418 307 973

Caution: This product may contain nuts!
shipy59
Forum Member only

« Reply #9 on: Friday, 29 January, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »

like this one in Esperance WA

and i think another in Mandurah?

Its gone but not forgotten
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, 30 January, 2010, 01:36:37 AM »

Hang on, 50k Simon? I missed that the first time I read it. Sounds like Bills 'reek. Wow, that's a lot of folding stuff for one of our cars.

As for the Mako, I remember hearing about it, but never associated it with the Eureka shape, more of a Sabre shaped design.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

winny
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 30 January, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »

Looks like the drive across Perth the other day was a good move, A couple of people have called interested. Just got to get them to come and have a look at it close up. I think one of them is very serious and just might end up buying. If not while I still own it i think I might drive it a bit more, it was great to get out in it again on the weekend. I had forgotten how much fun it is.
Andrew
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, 30 January, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »

Two things;

If you do sell it, point the owner to these forums and the club if you don't mind.

And the more you drive it, more people will see it. But, you're more likely to keep it.    Cheesy Wink Grin

Oh, and get a register plate for it. Even if it's a Mako, it's probably still in the clubs interest to keep track of it. 

Afro

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

winny
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, 31 January, 2010, 05:54:23 AM »

Thanks CyCo
Just applied for Reg Plate, that way my details are on the reg.
Promise to tell the new owners about this site, I have found it very valuable.
Andrew
cruetoone
« Reply #14 on: Monday, 01 February, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »

it's a shock to hear it is a mako it look's like the reek in unique magazine when paul nelson was trying to market the low slung look in a sports car ...sorry to hear you have to sell it cause i see my ex reek in your car an what i wanted  in a targa roofed sports with a awsomme paint job ... i bet the ride was an exilerating feeling that makes it hard to sell .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: