The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 30 March, 2024, 03:42:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FIND US ON FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/groups/purviseureka/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My F4  (Read 143019 times)
CyCo

« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, 09 October, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

Thanks Ted! lol, yeah I thought that green extension was going to play havoc with my ground clearance, which is why I decided to remove it. That and it wouldn't fit in the passengers seat when I took it down to Simons the other week. Simon's working on my reek at the moment, putting in the new gearbox, fuel tank and exhaust. Most likely won't make it for the meet, but it still has to be done, my old fuel tank was full of crap and destroying my fuel pump, and the exhaust was totally blown around half the circumference!! I'll have to post up a couple of photos in the next day or so.     

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

barsted
CLUB Member

« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, 09 October, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

Does that mean we will miss your glowing personality or are you coming by alternate transport?
CyCo

« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, 09 October, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »

I'll either bum a lift or go by Purvis Camry.  lol

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Morris
CLUB Member

« Reply #183 on: Thursday, 10 October, 2013, 04:16:54 AM »

Hi Cyco
If you bring the Camry you could take home my trailer with a load of Web Goat's TA Radials. Plus gear boxs + steering wheels ect. ect.
Just a thought,  Morris.
CyCo

« Reply #184 on: Thursday, 10 October, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »

I see what you're trying to do there Morris! lol Won't work, there isn't a tow bar on the Camry.   Cheesy

Here's a couple of photos Simon sent me. What the hell is that crud on the nosecone of the old gearbox?!? Also, the front gearbox mount is different. Will have to sort that out. The old one was the double stud, the new gearbox is a triple stud.

And we found out something very interesting. Some may have noticed the oil cooler mounted between the engine and the rear of the car. I was told it was an oil cooler. But it isn't. It's another radiator. Looks like it is either a re-purposed oil cooler or air con do hicky. But when it was disconnected, it was holding 4 liters of coolant! My car takes 10 liters, now we know why. Will also go some way of explaining why it almost never leaves warm up cycle, had two radiators (and an intercooler).

The intercooler will need to be repositioned, as the piping for it goes through the space for the new fuel tank. Something I've known for a while, but others might not, is that the intercooler is mounted up under the elephant ear on the drivers side. Here's the thing, they cut most of the 'pocket' out and 'flush mounted' it to the body tub. So there will be a largish hole under that elephant ear.

Hmm, Ted, any chance that the remains of the wrecked 'reeks you have have that intake intact? That and I'd still like to nab the under bonnet area as well at some point.  Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

ireek
Forum Member only

« Reply #185 on: Sunday, 13 October, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »

Hi Cyco, I think I am seeing double or you have a big mirror next to your car. lol
barsted
CLUB Member

« Reply #186 on: Sunday, 13 October, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »

I think that I can supply you the intake area for either side, under the elephant ear. If the car is at Simons, I can see it and ensure that I have enough to fill your car's hole. ( leave it alone!)

I can also supply the front bonnet floor area, either new or cut from the white shell I have.

Let me know if you are interested and I will arrange to visit Simon.

Ted
CyCo

« Reply #187 on: Sunday, 13 October, 2013, 01:47:34 PM »

Hi Cyco, I think I am seeing double or you have a big mirror next to your car. lol

Had me puzzled for a second. lol That other 'reek apparently belongs to a guy called Rod. Simon's working on it after he's finished mine. If I've got it straight, it has a 12A rotory in it that needs work. But the Rod also got a 13b Turbo (without the turbo), that's meant to be in better condition. So he wants that put in instead of the 12A.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo

« Reply #188 on: Sunday, 13 October, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »

I think that I can supply you the intake area for either side, under the elephant ear. If the car is at Simons, I can see it and ensure that I have enough to fill your car's hole. ( leave it alone!)

I can also supply the front bonnet floor area, either new or cut from the white shell I have.

Let me know if you are interested and I will arrange to visit Simon.

Ted

Didn't think about a new section. The front section isn't needed for a while yet anyway. And yeah, it is at Simons now, so if you want a look call Simon. Just the intake area is needed.  Thanks.   Grin

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo

« Reply #189 on: Thursday, 31 October, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »

Ok, so I thought that while the 'reek was away, I'd play. With some fiberglassing. First time for everything right? And besides, I still have some time up my sleeve.

Before the car went to Sydney, I did make up some rough cardboard templates. Rough indeed, as the cardboard was really too thin to stop deforming. But eh, doesn't matter. If it doesn't work, it's all just a learning experience.

So, if photos say 1000 words, then this must be a novella;

That was two days work. Don't know how long it took to lay up the fiberglass, think it was in order of around 8 to 10 songs from memory. Maybe 12. lol Then wait over night and peel it off the table. I could have spread out the wax a bit further, as it got a little stuck, so it took a little convincing to let go. But once it started, it came away fairly easily.

That's as far as I got. Obviously, you'll see I didn't have quite enough fiberglass matting. I had bought one of those Diggers Fiberglass Kit 1, which only has .25m2 of matting and 250mm of resin.

I had that bucket in my garage for the last two years, figured I may as well use it. lol So I've bought the same sized bucket again just so I can hopefully finish this thing. I probably won't even need all the fiberglass in this second bucket. Famous last words. lol

So maybe over the next day or so I'll see if I can knock thing doodad up. Even if my dodgy template turns out to be exactly that, dodgy, I may have lost some time & materials, but I'll have gained something worth more than the entire exercise. Knowledge & Experience.

Feel free to ask questions and offer critiques. Oh, and see if you can guess what I'm working on.  

Cheesy  

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #190 on: Friday, 01 November, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »

Oh

Handbrake console thingy?

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
CyCo

« Reply #191 on: Saturday, 02 November, 2013, 04:30:34 AM »

Give that man a kewpie doll!!

Yeah, thought I'd have a go at making something to go over the handbrake, as I detest the bloody rubber cover on mine. Though I think I've made it too high. It could also double as an arm rest, but I still think it's too high. All I've done so far since last time is to cut the pieces out. I'll upload them later. I may try to assemble it later or over the weekend. 

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #192 on: Saturday, 02 November, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »

Sorry to bust your surprise so quickly.
I did notice you made comment on mine at the meet and just put it together.

Interesting manner of construction.

I made mine up thinking it was to be plug but then just covered it.
It does work well. Tidies up that bit, looks better and is easier on your arm
Keep the pics coming

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
CyCo

« Reply #193 on: Sunday, 03 November, 2013, 04:16:49 AM »

Clever deduction, Holmes!   Cheesy

And you know, I forgot to take a photo of you handbrake cover thingy. lol

There are a couple of reasons I'm making it this way. One is that it's dead simple to lay up a flat sheet of fiberglass. Look, even I've done it. That bit isn't that hard. Sure, it's got a few small bubbles in it, but I'm not overly worried, it's not like it's a structural part of the car. Secondly, there's another technique I've read about I want to try, and it kinda requires flat sheets of fiberglass.

It's just held together by the masking tape in these photos, not actually assembled yet. Just a test fit. My top piece ended up just a tad short, but it should still work out ok with what I have planned.

I forgot something that I had marked on my templates, so I'm working on that. And I'm tossing around an idea of adding in a storage compartment on the top. Not sure yet, and not sure how deep I want to make it yet.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

The Bat
Forum Member only

« Reply #194 on: Sunday, 03 November, 2013, 05:40:13 AM »

And we found out something very interesting. Some may have noticed the oil cooler mounted between the engine and the rear of the car. I was told it was an oil cooler. But it isn't. It's another radiator. Looks like it is either a re-purposed oil cooler or air con do hicky. But when it was disconnected, it was holding 4 liters of coolant! My car takes 10 liters, now we know why. Will also go some way of explaining why it almost never leaves warm up cycle, had two radiators (and an intercooler).

Hey Richard,
I think I could have used one of them "oil cooler or air con do hicky" things on my reek at Bathurst. It may have kept it a bit cooler and Ted would'nt have been coated in oil. LOL

I'm not saying I'm BAT MAN it's just we havn't been seen together in the same room
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: