The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 01:09:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My F4  (Read 142967 times)
CyCo

« on: Tuesday, 27 January, 2009, 01:04:56 AM »

Ok, here's my F4.

Here it is with my roof (not currently on the car), tipping it's 'hat'.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 07 February, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »

Time for an update.

The 'reek has been a Rons place for about 3 months now. Not long after our meet in October last year, he suggested I bring it down to his place so we can replace the wiring on the head lights/tail lights. It was meant to be a two day job...

Part of the problem is that my 'reek is parked on his driveway, not under cover. So working on the car you're exposed to the elements. And lets say this has been the hottest summer we've had in quite some time. This week end they're predicting 40 degrees celsius for saturday, 45 for sunday. At one point, where Ron lives, it topped 45 three days running. Suffice to say, he doesn't work on it when it's too hot, let alone when it rains. Not to mention that Ron has to go to work, and do whatever Ron's do in their spare time (other then work on my car  Tongue )

The other reason it's taking longer is that it turned from just the head lights & tail lights, to a complete rewiring of the car. Over the first two days, we rewired the lighting system, and we discovered that my car was fitted with the loom supplied by the Purvis Eureka Factory. This had, of course, been added and subtracted to over the years. So it was a mess. We kept finding things that had us saying "What the F..K?" all the time. Just one of these examples was the drivers side indicator Ron was rewiring at one point. As I was working on the tail lights, he brought down the light assembly and showed it to me. He clipped it at about 3 inches from the light itself. And in that short 3" section of wire, there was 3 wires made into the one length. It was blue/green from the light assembly, then an inch of green wire, then another inch of blue/green wire!! 

Eventually we had to call it quits as we were running out of light on the second day. Ron said he'd keep it and work on it when he could. The crunch came when he had rewired the front end and worked back to the dash area. Under that dash was a complete mess. Worse than I had even realized. So he called and told me that it was now the time to totally rewire it. So, that's what Ron has been doing.

Here's a couple of kooky things about the wiring that was on the car. Battery up front, engine at the rear, but no battery cable running to the alternator...!?? It was being recharged through the loom at two points, the Alternator light on the dash, and I think he said the second point was off the stereo! This Ron has fixed with a length of cable that is used to earth Mainframes! That cable should be able to handle the Scooby alternator.  lol

Another one was the 'quality' of the head lights, and I use both 'quality' and 'head lights' loosely. They were real dull and brown when on. Also, no high beam!! This was one of the reason behind the rewiring of the head lights. I often called the head lights courtesy lights for other road users. They were merely there so on coming traffic knew something was there!! Why no high beam? Incorrectly wired or burned out relay, can't remember which. And the real reason the head lights were so dim? They were wired straight to the battery, not the loom. So they weren't getting the power from the alternator!

Head lights were also upgraded. My car was still using sealed beams. We got a H4 conversion kit through a local parts store ($30 AU for the pair, and includes fittings for parkers as well!). Then on top of this, we got a HID conversion kit off eBay for about $160 AU. My beast will now have 6000w Diamond White head lights. 1,000,000% better then when I got the car.  lol

Not sure what level of completion my roof is at the moment. And sometime this year (I'm hoping soonish), I'll get new Linak lifters.  Cool

I also want to say that Ron is one top bloke. It was his suggestion to do the wiring on my car, and I can't thank him enough.  Smiley

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 09 February, 2009, 06:27:34 AM »

just when you thought cyco's ride picture couldn't get any bigger it did ....aaahhhh

thought i would supply you with a different one don't take offence size doesn't matter

[attachment deleted by admin]
CyCo

« Reply #3 on: Monday, 09 February, 2009, 02:43:48 PM »

Yeah, I realized that after I posted the photo. I'll change it for another photo at some stage.  lol

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo

« Reply #4 on: Monday, 23 February, 2009, 10:07:39 AM »

Here's one of my favorite photos.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 23 February, 2009, 10:18:04 AM »

An we were all wondering what you were thinking when you got out with your camera to take it  then us in the car behind you laughed...lol  Cheesy
CyCo

« Reply #6 on: Monday, 23 February, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »

Yeah, just a silly idea I've always wanted to do, take a photo of my 'reek under/at a bridge with a Low Clearance sign.  lol

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo

« Reply #7 on: Monday, 23 February, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »

Here it is with Simons roof (he's got it back now. lol).

And with Ron's roof fitted (at this point in time, still on the car).

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

ireek
Forum Member only

« Reply #8 on: Monday, 02 March, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »

Hey Cyco

It has hade that many roofs you sure it is the same car.
CyCo

« Reply #9 on: Monday, 02 March, 2009, 11:21:47 AM »

Hehe, lol... I hope so!!

I've wondered if it's even my roof. The one that Ron's fixing for me that is. Probably is, but you never know.  Tongue

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Old Sports
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 04 March, 2009, 02:32:21 AM »

Wink   Mate if that roof lifted any higher via an ark axis you would poke some-ones eyey out with it, what are you using to direct lift and pivot forward the roof load, my new 12V LA 12 Actuators are the duck's guts and they lift the roof usinig 7.2V, via a flat test batery for test and wiring purposes.
     I would really love to see youre car at Mildura 09 meet my car should be there feel free to poach a few ideas of my car if any excist.
                                                Youre friend, David from the Riverland
                                                                              Thanks Cameron, Linak.
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, 04 March, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »

As the person who supplied the roof,
                                                  I was concerned about the possible destruction involved when no lifters/hydraulics system was in place, so the roof was secured with a piece of para -rope to stop it scratching Cyco's bonnet paint. The angle of his roof at our events that week-end is almost legendary. Not to mention the horsepower.

See you at Mildura Cyc-Baby.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
CyCo

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, 04 March, 2009, 03:12:17 PM »

As Simon said, the roof was stopped from going any further forward by the use of parachute cord. Ever since I've had the car, it's been a manual roof. It did have hydrolics, but to keet the story short, they were stuffed. So I used the car 'as is', and for the first couple years, the roof just sat down (kinda) when driving. Not even any clips to hold it in place. Then for the Ballarat meet, we used Simons roof, restrained by the cord so it didn't hit the bonnet.

Last week, I ordered the Linak actuators. Hopefully they arrived at Ron's digs today. I'll have to give him a ring to see if they're there.

Grin 

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, 22 April, 2009, 02:34:23 AM »

A small update; the car is still at Ron's. Doesn't help that one of the senior guys pulled the plug, and now Ron has to do his job as well. But I believe the actuators are fitted.

Here's something I've been meaning to do for a while now. I have the engineers report for my 'reek, and attached are three colour photos of it back in 2000. So here they are. You'll see that the roof is in one piece, and that the spoiler isn't fitted.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, 22 April, 2009, 12:44:09 PM »

wow look's like a different car .... do you regret chopping the roof  Grin

i know convertables are cool but that look in the first photo is very cool... Afro
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: