The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 06:10:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My F4  (Read 142981 times)
CyCo

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, 22 April, 2009, 01:15:32 PM »

I didn't chop the roof, the git I bought it off did it. Here's the story as told to me;

When he first got it, it had been sitting out in the open with the roof open 6" for about 6 months. As you might know, rams need to be kept clean to operate smoothly. Well the exposed section of ram had gone rusty, so they simply pushed the roof shut when it resisted closing. He ran it with those shot rams for a while, and over time they leaked more & more hydrolic fluid. It ended up leaking all the fluid into the cockpit, so he silicon'ed a section of tin/plastic/whatever to cover the pocket where the rams sit, to keep the fluid from leaking over the now ruined carpet.

It gets better.

Because it was leaking all the hydrolic fluid, the pump had to be topped up. So, he got an old skool oil gun and sucked up the old dirty fluid in the side pockets and put it back in the hydrolic pump. Further ruining the seals/gaskets that were ruined by forcing the roof shut on rusty rams.

After a time, the rams weren't sealed enough to maintain pressure to raise the roof. So he removed the side windows and got in Dukes of Hazard style. Must have been fun getting your feet in under the dash....

Eventually he got sick of climbing in the windows, so he and a mate took a marker and a jig saw to the roof, without even thinking of doing a clean job to fab up some removable panels from the cut out sections.

Which is when I come in on the scene. I bought it, and after a few years of driving it, and with the muchly appreciated help of Ron & Simon, have started to clean/fix it up. Still a long way to go, but we'll get there.

The roof, for instance, has been at Ron's for some time. He's glassed in the top again, and well also cut it up and make it a 'proper' t-top with removable panels, rain channels, side windows, etc.

Then there's the wiring. And the new head lights. And the new actuators.

I worked out a rough figure a month or so ago. I've had it for about 5 years now, and I've spent about $1,000 a year. Not including rego/petrol/running costs. Not bad for a 40 year old car (well, the chassis is anyway.  lol).

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, 23 April, 2009, 06:04:58 AM »

wow thats value for money...
CyCo

« Reply #17 on: Monday, 27 July, 2009, 01:30:23 AM »

Small update. About two weeks ago, Ron installed the battery to test out the electrics. New headlights and actuators are working fine, and he's wired up the alarm again for security. He still has some wiring to do, but it's getting closer. And he's also been working on my roof, so that's moving forward too.

As I said, it's just a small update.  Tongue

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, 27 September, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »

It's finished.

Just have to pick it up. Unfortunately Ron was busy this weekend, so I have yet to pick it up. Hopefully next weekend. Then all I have to do is get it through rego (due around the 25th of Oct).

Grin

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, 27 September, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »

Give me a call if you need help with that Cyc-baby.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
CyCo

« Reply #20 on: Monday, 28 September, 2009, 06:28:37 AM »

Thanks for that Simon. It's mainly just working out our two schedules so that they meet. Will probably happen next weekend.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo

« Reply #21 on: Monday, 12 October, 2009, 02:36:12 AM »

She's home!!

Ron drove her home yesterday and arrived just before midday. Though the last year under a tarp certainly didn't do her 'paint job' any good. Certainly a new paint job in the near future. I'll worry about that when I get my roof back. Yep, it still has Ron's roof on it. I'll post some photos in the next few days.

Cheesy Grin   Afro

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #22 on: Monday, 12 October, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »

You must be happy to have it back in time for mildura... Cool
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #23 on: Monday, 12 October, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »

My roof is still red Cyc-baby.
                                               I still have your stainless exhaust at my workshop too. If you want to organise something now is the time.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
CyCo

« Reply #24 on: Monday, 12 October, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »

I am indeed happy to have her home after all this time. I have to get used to driving her again.

Still need to make a date with the spray booth Simon? How close is your's to getting back on the road? I know you're busy.

I do remember about the exhaust, but at the moment I'm trying to focus on getting through rego first. It's due the 26th of Oct. Got to get her through before the meet.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, 15 October, 2009, 06:05:01 AM »

OK, as promised, some photos. I'll do before and after.

Focusing in on the driver side engine wiring...

Fuse panel; the hings you see top left, is at the front of the dash. It's under the passenger side, and held up with a couple of screws. Undo the screws and the panel hinges down so you can see it, and the lables are the correct way up.

Driver side of dash, mainly the removal of the dash switches and moving them to the center console above the gear lever. Had two rocket switches there before, one of was dummy, the other for head lights.

And the obligatory 'raising and lowering of the roof' video.

Booked in for the rego check friday morning.

Afro

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #26 on: Friday, 16 October, 2009, 05:05:21 AM »

ron did a fab job on it two thumbs up an  Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
CyCo

« Reply #27 on: Sunday, 18 October, 2009, 02:19:37 PM »

Seems like I may be building another reputation...

So, I took the 'reek for it's RWC on friday, but it didn't past muster.

Sad

Whilst it is in better nick than last year, what with the new custom loom, headlights and lifters (many thanks to Ron), he failed it on five 'items'. Main ones were the tinworm in the passenger side floorpan, and the way the seats were mounted to the floor. He said he wanted the nuts underneath 'brased'. We figured he meant braced. He also failed the seatbelts (they were no longer self retracting, mainly the drivers seat). There were also two cracks he wanted fixed in the chassis. One was pointed out a couple of years ago (some may remember), and a fairly new looking one, rear of the passenger floorpan.

Rang Ron, ran Darren, and then early this morning (saturday) went up to Darren's place and we (and by we, I mean Darren) worked on it from about 9am to 9pm. Roughly. Probably left his place maybe 10:30pm.

Which meant the new head lights were used, and was not a problem to see. Closer to home and it started to rain. And the wiper cleared the view so I could see.

We all think that this mechanic may have had a visit from a RTA Inspector lately, and told to tighten up his game.

Just hoping he clears it on monday morning.

If I can't get it passed  Cry , I'll have to worry about it later, and fall back to Plan B, ride shotgun with Darren to the Meet.

Oh, we had a couple of spot fires..... certainly needing new carpet...  Shocked

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #28 on: Sunday, 18 October, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »

Top stuff Cyco.
Keep up the good work Darran  Grin

It sure was a dogs dinner looking at the before pics.

Wishing you all the luck for Monday

So what happened to the radiator that was up front?

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #29 on: Sunday, 18 October, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »

Cyc - baby,
                   Get me your rego details asap and I'll sort it for you. We did the same for you last year, remember? Then there's no need to freak as the time draws nearer. And I do mean ASAP, mate.

And "brased" means brass flame welded, not braced.

Simon

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: