The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 20 April, 2024, 05:13:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Tripping.  (Read 25737 times)
CyCo

« on: Monday, 13 April, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »

Ok people of the New South Welsh type, it's about time we did a drive day. Myself and Ron talked about this some time last year, and I even had a look around these here parts for what he wanted. Basically a drive somewhere on or around the Central Coast, then finishing somewhere scenic for a meal before heading off home. He was thinking something with a water front view, where we can keep an eye on the 'reeks in the car park.

Now, I haven't got my reek back on the road yet, but I've been thinking of places to hit when I get it back. Often is the time when I'm pouring over the local street directory while at work, usually when I'm treating and my offsider is driving. Often to the query 'I know where we're going'. But I'm not looking up something for their benefit.   lol

One area that I kept look at is St Albans. I've never been there, despite the fact it's only some 80 minutes away. One of those 'close to home, never been there places'.

So now, while I'm waiting for some mates to arrive, I've been looking at a round trip, from Gosford back to Gosford, via St Albans.

So, I found a half decent trip planner on the net. And after looking up a few maps on line, I plugged in Gosford as both starting point and the destination, I put in St Albans for a 'via' route. This is the result I got. In case that doesn't work, from Main St Gosford and back via St Albans is about 175 km round trip, or about 2.5 hours.

Not a bad run.

Then I thought, hmm, what would happen if I plugged in St Albans into Google Maps. And this is that result. 

Someone has taken a few photos of St Albans and put them up on Google Maps. Including the local pub, which looks like a great old Aussie pub.  Thanks Cheryl Parkes (whoever you are).

Ok, so I don't have my reek at the moment, but I thought I'd stir the pot a bit, and get us talking. The reason Ron suggested the Central Coast was that the majority of reek owners are either in Sydney or Newcastle, so with the Central Coast in the middle, it's a natural meeting place.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 14 April, 2009, 05:30:54 AM »

Hey CyCo....

Looks like a great road trip ....i thought cheryl parks was the licencee of the pub in the photo above but after looking at your links she sounds likes more of an established photographer !!!!! shame i live so far south to attend cause this day sounds like it could be a hoot Cool Cool Cool
CyCo

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 14 April, 2009, 07:30:42 AM »

It does looks to be a nice area Dave. I found out today I have been to St Albans, back when I was a wee tyke, we used to go out that way for picnics and camping. Not that I remember that though.

If you look at those photos, there's one that's labled 'the main road', showing a dirt road. I was going to go out that way in the camry anyway to check out the roads and the pub, to see if they have a bristro type 'o thing. Probably do, but still need to check out the grub. Will probably do it in my next lot of days off.

As for too far south, you went to Canberra, this wouldn't be as far.   Tongue

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 14 April, 2009, 09:08:07 AM »

going to canberra was like 3hrs away it would be like going home to sydney so going to gosford is an extra 3 hrs im looking at 6hrs not including traffic an a break.... Tongue
CyCo

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 14 April, 2009, 12:14:30 PM »

Where abouts you from again? Canberra was only about 4 hours from here... 

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 14 April, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »

The Shoalhaven area...to get to the canberra meet from the central coast in 4hrs you guys must have been using warp speed !!!!  Afro

but then again i coud be wrong your map link says i can do it in 3hrs 47min.....but they aren't always accurate!!!

Cyco
cruetoone
CyCo

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, 14 April, 2009, 01:42:05 PM »

It probably did take a bit longer, we did stop for lunch from memory, and at least one refueling stop. Seriously, with the road upgrades between here and there it's not a bad trip. Hell, me and a few mates went to Katoomba for a mates wedding a couple of years ago, that only took about 4 hours as well.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, 15 April, 2009, 01:27:21 AM »

well i hope you get this trip organised for everyone cause we need some drive days to remember in 2009 from a nsw point of view.... Cool
CyCo

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, 15 April, 2009, 03:00:52 AM »

That we do Dave.

Cool

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

cruetoone
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, 16 April, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »

ive yet to see the other states do it first... Grin
CyCo

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, 16 April, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »

Road trips? SA has them bi monthly.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

redreek(the stig)
CLUB Member

« Reply #11 on: Friday, 17 April, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »

i'm up for a run,i dought ron will come.ron and myself did talk about it on the way home from canberra,but i have had that much going on latley i have'nt had the time to scratch myself let alone try and organize a outing so thank you cyco for at least getting the ball rolling.
...Darren
CyCo

« Reply #12 on: Friday, 17 April, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »

No probs Darren. As I said, I thought I'd just stir the pot and start something here. We need to get some drives happening. They'll be fun, and we may just happen to find more 'reeks/owners out there.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #13 on: Friday, 17 April, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »

Good stuff cyco, keep it going

Thats right, we in SA have a run virtually every month, but one is just a casual dinner as you know, but some bring Reeks too. We chat, network, & help each other out.
Every second month its more of a fun run and even those with reeks still in the build stage come along in their "brand X".

The latest have been
The VDUB Show
An All Car Clubs Drive-in night
Motor Museum BBQ and morning tea at a Cafe in the hills and finished off the day at a country pub
A Local country town Fair
Another VDub show
Plus the social dinners inbetween
and that's in the last 6 months

Plus a few of us try to kick the tyres of the newcomers to SA

Keep up the good work Cyco

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
CyCo

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 18 April, 2009, 04:25:32 AM »

Thanks Phil.

I plan to head out St Albans way this weekend to scope out the roads and maybe check out the food at the pub.

Grin

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: