The Purvis Eureka Forum
Sunday, 21 April, 2024, 04:04:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This FORUM is brought to you by the members of the Purvis Eureka Car Club of Australia.
Please consider supporting the CLUB and supporting the Marque by becoming a Club Member

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brisbane Courier mail w/end shopper 14-15 March 2009  (Read 33405 times)
Dean
« Reply #45 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »

Wow, that's some gearbox. Would still appear to be 4 gears. Have you had it on the road and if so, how does it run?

Yep, it's just a little ol'e 4 speed swingaxle box with some upgrades to handle the future plans for the 12at and a torque bias diff centre to help at the start line.

Drives nice but is very noisy since I have added the neo mounts and 5 bracing setup.  Just add it to the rest of the noises.  lol.
Dean
« Reply #46 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »

This is what Aaron runs in his VW Bus.  6 speed 20b turbo rotary.  Registered and apprently drives like a dream to the race track.  It was out to have a seal replaced when his boost control popped a diaphram and went to 20+psi too quickly.  Kinda funny but sad.

It will be a bit much for a day out at the drags for the eureka.  Wheelie bars will need to be 20 foot long lol. But it would be nice to try.

Damn, a 20b Turbo in a Kombi, registered!! Man that's a mean ride. Is that a Kombi gearbox Aaron's running?

Nar.  It's a porky 6 speed.  A third longer than a normal box due the extra gears for the 5th gear, then the 6th gear.  Very long box.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #47 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 01:53:36 PM »

Porsche 6 speed. Biig dollars, but then so's the 20b. I'm looking for a 5th gear, not really for the power, but a better crusing gear for long trips and on the freeways. Still digging around, though I've been doing less looking of late.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Dean
« Reply #48 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »

Around town is 3rd gear for me and out of town (100kph) is nice.  5 gears will just make me do more work on the clutch.  Maybe I'm just lazy.

Can you crank up your rear tyre size at all?
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #49 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »

I probably could up the rear tyre size, though I'm having trouble sourcing 265/50/14 as it is.

With the 1.8t Scooby motor, I find that it revs it's nuts off when on the freeway. I'd like to be able to step that down a notch and let it 'relax' a bit more.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

redreek(the stig)
CLUB Member

« Reply #50 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »

single plate IRS box will fix the problem cyco
Dean
« Reply #51 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 10:30:34 PM »

First question.  Why would an IRS box solve the issue?  I know .........dumb question.

Secound question...........Can you go to a 265/60/14?  If they exist?

As you can see I know nothing of boxes or tyres.

Again, Dave Bulter helped me out.  I told him what I wanted and he advised exactly what to do.  He didn't charge a motza to do the work, just reasonable rates.  Now all I have to worry about is things other than the drivetrain breaking.  Like tyres chewing thru the water lines rooted in the wheel well since I've gone to correct lenght shocks and coilovers in the rear.................So much to do before the August Mini-meet in Gympie.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #52 on: Saturday, 12 June, 2010, 03:10:29 AM »

single plate IRS box will fix the problem cyco

Just a simple swap to a single side plate will do the job? I remember you talking about it last year. At the very least, it will be cheaper than a conversion to something else.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

redreek(the stig)
CLUB Member

« Reply #53 on: Saturday, 12 June, 2010, 08:22:06 AM »

different ratios= lower revs at highway speeds, they are out of later model "L"bugs
Cyco, next time i have the reek out i will take notice at what the revs are and let you know.mine don't rev hard on the highway.
I know when i swapped it over while i had the VW engine it made a huge difference in the revs at highway speed but was a bit dowier on take off,but when i put the subi in every thing was smoother and less revier anyway.
...Darren   
redreek(the stig)
CLUB Member

« Reply #54 on: Saturday, 12 June, 2010, 08:27:49 AM »

First question.  Why would an IRS box solve the issue?  I know .........dumb question.
swing axle rear and are low,double plate IRS are a bit better and single plate are better again,but a 5 speed over drive would be even better.(bugga hitler keeping vw's simple)
..Darren
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #55 on: Sunday, 13 June, 2010, 05:36:41 AM »

Opps, forgot to tell you my contact details Terry. Check your PMs.

Smiley

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #56 on: Monday, 14 June, 2010, 01:04:24 PM »

Hi

I haven"t been on line of late but heres my 50 cents worth (could be worth only .5cents)
First VW Motor
The cylinders are not bored they are replaced with larger units designed for the application (eg bore size and stroke length) the cranks can be bought in replacments strokes of silly sizes to give a swept volume of up to 2.6 after that the case has to be changed for an after market item then i think the swept volume is maxed out at 3.2 (need to check). If we change the case to a Kombi case aftermarket 3.8 is available.A well set up motor with a turbo or two could make up to 650hp. To make this power EFI and the latest heads from the after market would be required (as with a Jap motor) and you should think if you can control that power. To make 650 Hp with a vw based case costs in the order of $10,000-30,000 could be spent and the sound from the pipes will be your favorite from then on.

Second Gearbag
I have gone for a Porsche 901 5 speed I selected this on price and parts availability with my project I plan to have 650 +hp so a lSD and replacment gearsets, centre block are an interest.Using other boxes worked out to be a bit rich (working  on the fact i can do most work myself).
If money was no problem a Porsche G60 would be my choice but wife and kid rules my life.
The single side plate box will put up with a lot of abuse but like most boxes heat build up will kill these very quickly so any up grade I would suggests installing an oil cooler and even the following boxes could use a cooler Kombi,beetle, Porsche or Rino.

Third exhaust systems
An after market syetem will fix the Dak Dak sound an compleate motor rebuild with cam will also but for my thoughts who cares as  I have said over the 15 or so of years of ownership its only a VW 1300 Sir.

Quick VW's
I have worked on some of the quickest and can tell you that a Eureka can be quicker if build from the ground up. Lap times of Eastern Creek by some road registered Beetles makes the Porsche, Mustang and Subaru Clubs hide with embarrassment. And the driver was 15 with shag pile roof lining (orange) One of the days that warms the heart on cold nights when nothing is going right.

Andrew

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #57 on: Monday, 14 June, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »

Hi guys,
           There's no doubt that you can build super strong beetle donks.
Check out the engine of the bug I was working on before the VW Nats. It's a 2.4 in a beetle case worked to the ridiculous. It came first in its class at Wakefield Park on the 'Nats Saturday and second outright on the day.

I drove it a couple of times around my backyard and it was the angriest machine I've driven in years. You could literally feel every cylinder kicking you in the ass.

Something like that in a reek would be more than enough.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
Dean
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, 15 June, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »

There are some ridiculously powerfull dakdak motors out there, and streetable.
I've considered going back too air-cooled but you can do more with water cooled if the car already has the piping, radiators, etc. 

Depends were your coming from.
magooster
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #59 on: Sunday, 18 July, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »

Hi guys
 I reseached and studied these Hi performance VW motors for a couple of years now
 and have had one built to my specifications 2.4Lt.
 I spoke to Podjoy. Rod Penrose and some Performance Guys in the States.
 botom line is if you go over 100hp. it gets real exspensive thats why you hear alot about doing it
 but nobody seems to be doing it
 If you want to have some fun and get 80 plus thousand kilomiters out of your motor you need to
 start with a VW.super Case and build your way up, its the only way your going to hit that pedle
with confordence and get home in one piece
 Now all the (experts) have thier favourite cranks,heads and so forth but they build for the track
which means they dont expect reliability for too many K's only weakends.
But they all said to me unanamasly that a VW.thats built for over 150HP.is not very plesent to be
 in for a great lenght of time some have said 200HP. is not streetable
wel thats my 5cents spent.   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: