The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 26 April, 2024, 07:11:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brisbane Courier mail w/end shopper 14-15 March 2009  (Read 33449 times)
cruetoone
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, 08 June, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »

i remember you saying something about that forgot it was this one..
tmerivale
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, 09 June, 2010, 01:11:54 AM »

its all good, i feel that it would have been an easy seller if negotiable on price. if true to his word in regards to the motor it seemed like it would have moved especially with the 48mm? dellorto carbs. for me its too much of a mock up ferrari but i can see the appeal to many people. this one was actually about 20 minutes from my house but when i called to organise a time it had already sold. anyway i really wish the person would have been pushed over to this site, but somehow i doubt it.
cruetoone
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, 09 June, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »

Grin you never know when you google anything purvis eureka the trail leads to us so who know's only time will tell.. Smiley
TerryC
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, 09 June, 2010, 05:18:47 AM »

the one with the plates "tko" has been sold quite some time ago, i was looking at that before i picked mine up back in october 09 and when i called him he said it had already sold. sorry guys

Any idea of whether or not he got the $15,250 he was after? Still trying to get an idea of a fair price for good road-going cars like that one, but I am leaning towards a Jap engine rather than a VW. Could change my mind if the right reek came along with a VW engine in it though.

Back in the late 60s a mate of mine who was German had a beetle given to him for his 18th by his dad, who actually did his time as an apprentice at the VW factory in Germany, and the things that they did to that VW engine over time was obscene! I watched him drag off a real Porsche at the local traffic light derby, and V8s were mince-meat to it! Still sounded like a VW though!   Sad
Terry
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, 09 June, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »

You can sertainly get some hot Bugs!! A hot 1800 with a turbo sure scoots along. And there are ways to reduce or eliminate the 'dak dak' of the exhaust system. And if you go with the Bug donk, you don't have to worry about plumbing for the radiator. Though there is a little more plumbing along with the turbo, especially if you go with an intercooler as well.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

TerryC
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, 10 June, 2010, 03:52:56 AM »

You can sertainly get some hot Bugs!! A hot 1800 with a turbo sure scoots along. And there are ways to reduce or eliminate the 'dak dak' of the exhaust system. And if you go with the Bug donk, you don't have to worry about plumbing for the radiator. Though there is a little more plumbing along with the turbo, especially if you go with an intercooler as well.

Thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind. If I spot another one with a turbo I won't dismiss it straight away, but I still think a Jap engine with a hair dryer would be a better way to go, something like yours!
Terry
tmerivale
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, 10 June, 2010, 06:22:55 AM »

Terry there are certainly some quick vw donks as cyco said check this page at aussieveedubbers:
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=32337&page=1
some guys are running 9's and even high 8's in beetles, which definitely dont have the aerodynamics that our cars do.
TerryC
« Reply #37 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 09:16:07 AM »

Terry there are certainly some quick vw donks as cyco said check this page at aussieveedubbers:
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=32337&page=1
some guys are running 9's and even high 8's in beetles, which definitely dont have the aerodynamics that our cars do.

1/4Mile / Driver / Vehicle / Turbo or N/A / Capacity / Date Run / Venue
9.71 / mike64 / 67 Beetle / turbo mech inj / 2800 / 11-03-06 / WSID NSW
9.76 / dangerous / 60 Beetle / 2 x Supercharged / 2827 / 23-01-99 / WIR QLD

Man, that is W-A-Y beyond freaky! I am guessing that they are worked Kombi 2l engines, but even so, 2.8l from a 2l donk is shaving a hell of a lot of meat off it, then sticking TWIN turbos on it? But it obviously works, because there is a stack of them running the 2.8l engines turbo-ed up, so I guess they can't all be going boom. But do they still sound like a VW, even a VW on steroids?   Smiley
Terry
Dean
« Reply #38 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 09:58:07 AM »

Dangerous Dave (aka Dave Bulter) is the guy who did the gearbox for my Eureka.
VERY knowledgable guy on all things about VW gearboxs, and a nice guy.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=82094&page=1
Yet to run it down the quarter, but if nothing else should be fun.
Aiming for the Willowbank Test and Tune night on the 23rd of this month.  See what else I can break.
If anyone wants to come along.............?

Dean
0402 327 383
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #39 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 11:28:57 AM »

Gearbox eh? What 'box, ratios, # of gears are you running Dean??

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Dean
« Reply #40 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 01:19:24 PM »

Gearbox eh? What 'box, ratios, # of gears are you running Dean??

This is the diary of the gearbox build that Dave did for me.  The gear ratio's are down in the middle of the list.  Hope it helps others when their looking at improvements on their box.

March 2010: strip and asses core trans(1968 beetle swingaxle).
Cut off axle nut to remove stripped brake rotor.
Supply two USED axle nuts.(free)
NEW seal for nose cone selector shaft.
NEW nose cone bush outer.
NEW nose cone bush inner.
MACHINE nose cone face flat.
NEW steel thrust plate for under nose cone.
WELD selector shaft end for improved shift quality.(and account for wear...nickel welding rod).
Supply USED intermediate housing to suit later bearing and main shaft.(free)
Supply USED hub for splined later main shaft.(free)
NEW 091(2 lt bus) circlips for later main shaft.
NEW German FAG brand main shaft ball bearing.
NEW Diehl brand synchros where required.
WELD clutch fork arms fully.(originals are only spot welded).
Supply USED clutch fork, arm, and hardware.
Modify,MACHINE late clutch fork (20 mm) hardware to fit Rhino style (16 mm) case.
Supply material and MACHINE special bronze bush for clutch arm conversion.
Supply  12 NEW nuts and hard washers for axle tube flanges.
Supply USED 1.3182 ratio third gear.(old ratio was 1.26).
WELD and MACHINE third and 4th gears, and hub to suit late style main shaft.
Supply USED metal caged needle bearings  for all gears.(old ones are plastic cages and shorter needle bearings).
Supply pinion shims (free) and set crown wheel and pinion pattern, in new case.
NEW ERCO brand chromoly pinion bearing retaining plate.
Supply special wave washers for above.
NEW FAG brand dual taper bearing for pinion.
NEW input shaft seal and gasket set.
Supply USED input shaft (free), and MACHINE for rotary engine (length).
NEW shim for first gear end float.
Supply USED nut for first gear inner bearing race.
MACHINE all gears to control end float.
NEW SKF brand diff ball bearings.
NEW genuine VW diff shim.
NEW Japan wheel bearings.
NEW axle seal kits.
Supply USED steel fork for 1st and 2nd.(original one is weak brass material).
NEW Albins First and Second racing gear set and main shaft. 3.333 ratio for 1st and 2.0769 ratio for second.
NEW RHINO gearbox case.
NEW billet aluminium side covers.
MACHINE side covers to clear Rhino case internal casting.
MACHINE side covers and Rhino case for extra through bolt modification.
Supply long stud and new nuts and washers for above mod.
MACHINE intermediate housing to re-bush shift rail holes.(restores shift quality).
NEW special 15 mm spanner size nuts and washers for side covers(16 x).
Various solvents sealants and consumables.
Total labour and machining time 28 hours.

Finished 5th May 2010.

I've got a couple of pics if you need them.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #41 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 01:37:30 PM »

Wow, that's some gearbox. Would still appear to be 4 gears. Have you had it on the road and if so, how does it run?

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #42 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »

Here's a vid of a Turbo Bug. First one I found without music over the engine sound. The design is a tad over the top, but sounds great.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Dean
« Reply #43 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »

This is what Aaron runs in his VW Bus.  6 speed 20b turbo rotary.  Registered and apprently drives like a dream to the race track.  It was out to have a seal replaced when his boost control popped a diaphram and went to 20+psi too quickly.  Kinda funny but sad.

It will be a bit much for a day out at the drags for the eureka.  Wheelie bars will need to be 20 foot long lol. But it would be nice to try.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #44 on: Friday, 11 June, 2010, 01:45:12 PM »

This is what Aaron runs in his VW Bus.  6 speed 20b turbo rotary.  Registered and apprently drives like a dream to the race track.  It was out to have a seal replaced when his boost control popped a diaphram and went to 20+psi too quickly.  Kinda funny but sad.

It will be a bit much for a day out at the drags for the eureka.  Wheelie bars will need to be 20 foot long lol. But it would be nice to try.

Damn, a 20b Turbo in a Kombi, registered!! Man that's a mean ride. Is that a Kombi gearbox Aaron's running?

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: