The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 30 March, 2024, 08:29:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to re-evaluate our rides?  (Read 9133 times)
CyCo
CLUB Member

« on: Saturday, 01 August, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »

Ok, so in the current Unique Cars mag (378 July Issue), in the Ones that got away section (pg 46), we have this;

$25,000 to $30,000.

It's a VW powered (no idea of engine capacity) Eureka in white gel coat. Black trim. Bathurst Globe wheels. And it's a Sport. And that's about all we know. It was being sold for $9,950 back in 1994.

I've been saying for a while that our cars are kinda unique in that they're that rare breed of car that it's value doesn't seem to devalue or appreciate, remaining static. But I've also said that they seem to be about to start to appreciate. Has that actually happened? Going from this one article, it seems like it.

Do we know anything else about this car? Does anyone recognize it or even own it? Rego SXS-828

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Xntrik1
Forum Member only

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 02 August, 2015, 02:18:09 AM »

Hi Cyco,

This was, and now again is my car.
I originally bought it in 1982 as an unfinished project, pulled the whole thing apart and started from scratch, finished it and got it registered in 1984.
It had swimming pool blue gel coat and I painted it white.
The usual story - I met my wife in 1990 so sold the car in 1994 when we got married. (The car is actually in our wedding video)
I had it on consignment with Collectable Classics (car yard) but they couldn't sell it, so I ended up selling it myself for $7,500 at the time and it was in immaculate condition. The build quality was very high as I was very fussy (I even fibre-glassed the lower side panels to the body because I didn't like the visual join running down the sides of the car.)
It was a bit lower in price than what I wanted but it was hard to sell at the time with a lot of dreamers and time wasters. Putting it into perspective though was that in the same year I sold my perfectly restored, genuine and original LC GTR Torana for $7,700 (Still kick myself for selling that now!) I'm sure we've all got stories like that to tell!
I didn't see another Eureka after I sold mine until I bumped into the ECCA (no P) group at a VW car show in Glenelg. I was hoping to see my old car but mine wasn't one of the 12 odd cars there. That's when I spoke to Phil and James about locating my old car. Within 2 weeks James got back to me telling me one of the club members had my car but it had been in an accident and was a basket case. Long story - but now I own it again.
It's still got the same worked 1500cc VW motor I built up for it and interior but some parts have been stripped off it (Sports dash, rear louvre, rear bumper lower panel and nostril bonnet replaced with F4 ones because the previous owner preferred the looks of them for his other car - which happens to be the orange racing Eureka.)
I'll get around to restoring her back to her former glory one day.
So, technically this car shouldn't be in the "Ones that got away" section because I have it Back!  Grin Whistle Tongue

Tom.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 02 August, 2015, 05:45:03 AM »

Ah cool. At least that one is still around. And an interesting story behind it too. Not to mention parts of your car went on to be part of the Targa Eureka. Cool stuff!!

As to the other part of my post, what do you think. Are our cars, if in top condition, worth the $30,000? 

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

WebGoat
aka Paul Patton.
Administrator

Morph, Goat, Reek, whatever.....

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 02 August, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »

... As to the other part of my post, what do you think. Are our cars, if in top condition, worth the $30,000? 

For an answer to your question Cyco, go and have a squiz at Stuarts advert on CarSales and make sure you read the first line under "Seller's Comments"  Grin

PP.

Caution: This product may contain nuts!
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #4 on: Monday, 03 August, 2015, 11:03:29 AM »

Well....dang. I had looked at his listing some time ago....but not for a while.....

Shocked

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

StuFarny
Forum Member only

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 04 August, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »

YEP! SOLD IT!
AND YOUR ALL ASKING FOR HOW MUCH?
Well pick a figure higher than $30,000 and Less than $40,000
I will reveal the final price once the money has actually changed hands, at the moment I have a cash deposit, so the buyer is genuine.

The sale is pending till I fix up a couple of minor things, and getting the RWC done, which I have till September to get it all done, as the guy is in no hurry.

So yes the value of our Eureka's is increasing!

I had 2 pending buyers in the end, both of which were happy to pay the asking price, it came down to who put the deposit down first, got the car.

So yes, those who have a eureka in top condition, you can expect to get a good price, (that's if you can bear to part with it!).
I've already had regrets, but due to my circumstances, I am unable to keep so many of my toys, and I have already purchased a "brand new toy"! which compensates for my loss.

Stu
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 05 August, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »

Wow. Good stuff Stu. Let us know how it goes.

So what's the brand new toy??    Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

StuFarny
Forum Member only

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, 05 August, 2015, 10:39:01 AM »

Cyco,

I purchased a brand new 2015 "Renault Megane Convertible"

It still has a "lift up roofy thingy"  unlike but similar to the Eureka, with the roof folding up in the boot!

Mine is pearl white.

So I have a car for winter and a Convertible for the warmer months.

Stu
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 06 August, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »

Nice! I think the Renault Megane are under appreciated here in Oz.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: