The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 04:11:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This FORUM is brought to you by the members of the Purvis Eureka Car Club of Australia.
Please consider supporting the CLUB and supporting the Marque by becoming a Club Member

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eureka SS in Oz....For Sale!  (Read 10644 times)
CyCo
CLUB Member

« on: Friday, 01 August, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »

Ok folks, I've been contacted by Peter in the UK on the Euro Nova forum who in turn was contacted by a fellow here in Oz who has a Eagle SS that he needs gone. And if it's not gone soon, it's going to the tip! Last I understood, there were only 3 of them here in Oz! So, it's a rare bird (pardon the pun!), and also a cousin to our Eureka. Ever wanted a gullwing?

The following is the only info about the condition of the car what I've currently got;

It has been re wired and marked/tagged , starts up, sounds awesome with it's new twin exhaust.the side windows are made of glass, and yes I totally regarding side mirrors. Needs good tune up .the lights pop up, indicators, stop lights ,headlights all work..the motor and tyres which are really fat look new , like I said someone has spent a little time and money on it. I think the front left wheel bearings are gone as it sounds rough on that side.

I don't know how much the owner wants, but I do know that he needs it gone, and there is a (unknown) time it needs to be gone by! It's currently living in his sisters garage, which is probably why it needs to be gone. As the motor is in the back (and obviously it's an Alfa boxer motor) it's a VW based one, not the later Ford based one which had the engine up front and a fairly ugly bonnet.

I have the owners email, and while I've (just this minute) emailed him, I've yet to get a reply. When I know he's happy with me posting it here I will, and maybe a contact phone number.

Please help save this Eagle!

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #1 on: Friday, 01 August, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »

Oh, and if you have any interest, please feel free to contact me and I'll pass any questions on, until I can put up the owners contact details.

Grin

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

radekp81
Forum Member only

« Reply #2 on: Friday, 01 August, 2014, 10:20:51 PM »

Hey Richard,

That Looks like a fun project!  I guess the main question I have is the obvious one (in how much he's wanting for it).

Cheers,
Radek.

"Give a car more power and it will be quicker in a straight line. Make a car lighter and it will be quicker everywhere"

Colin Chapman 1928-1982.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 02 August, 2014, 12:42:03 AM »

I've emailed the owner and will let you guys know.  Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

radekp81
Forum Member only

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 02 August, 2014, 12:58:36 AM »

Thanks Richard!

"Give a car more power and it will be quicker in a straight line. Make a car lighter and it will be quicker everywhere"

Colin Chapman 1928-1982.
mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 02 August, 2014, 02:21:08 AM »

Where is it?
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 02 August, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »

Seems the Eagle has gathered some interest. Sorry for not replying with additional info earlier, but I've just pulled almost a double shift/380klm behind the wheel. And not much time available to update this from my phone. lol Only got home maybe 20 minutes ago.

Ok, for the last couple of weeks is actually been forced outside in a back yard. So that's why it needs to move on. It will be a full restro, as it's been already someones project car (like most of ours), but with the addition that the doors are now not closing properly. From what I've read on these cars, that's not an uncommon thing to find on a car that hasn't been used alot/frequently, with the appropriate care. The fiberglass tends to crack, then letting water leak into the steel frame inside the doors. It's a stone cold mutha to fix, but it is possible. I do understand some have made up new framework in stainless steel.

I also forgot to add that it seems to have been imported from the UK in 2006 by a Doctor here in Oz, who then tried a restro without considering the consequences. Sound familiar? it seems to be a MKII body with a Mark 1 Nose on it (think I read that on the Euro Nova forum), Beetle chassis, with the Alfa boxer donk. These were 1.1 through to 1.7, and sound great.

Car is located in Romsey Victoria, and Joe is open to offers. Sadly the car needs to go, and he wants to spare it a sad end at the local council rubbish tip. 

joebonello93@gmail.com

I think I've covered everything. I'm exhausted, so I may have forgotten a detail or two. I'll double check this tomorrow arvo after work! lol

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 03 August, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »

Ok, I think it's on a 1969 Beetle chassis, and 'someone has gone to great lengths to rewire'. Needs interior (don't know how much though!), windscreen intact.

Couple of photos I also forgot to post across, of some documentation. Seems to have come from some museum, in Germany?

And one from the Australian Customs;

Motor starts up and 'sounds awesome with it's new twin exhaust. Does need a tune up. Side windows are glass. All lights work, including the pop up headlights, they do pop up. Maybe Mazda? Fat tyres look new.

That's really all I have.

We got to stop this car going to the crusher. And then we can have our own, a Wedgetail Eagle! lol  

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #8 on: Friday, 08 August, 2014, 02:45:08 PM »

The owner has a little more time before it has to go, but that's only some 8 weeks away. So if you want it, better get in soon.  Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 09 August, 2014, 02:14:44 AM »

Surely if its getting crushed any offer to take it away would do. Anyone with a car trailer and a spare case of beer?
radekp81
Forum Member only

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, 09 August, 2014, 02:28:41 AM »

I'd hope so!  I sent him an email offering to pick it up and give him a couple hundred for it.  I didn't receive a response though.  My offer still stands Smiley

Romsey's a easy drive from where I live too.

Colin Chapman 1928-1982.
Ukhozi
Forum Member only

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 09 August, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »

Hi, it's Peter from the U.K. Eagle Owners Club, (in Spain) here, I tend to pop up everywhere when an Eagle is at risk. Thanks to CyCo for his efforts and I'm glad there has been some dialogue with Joe and someone nearby who can collect it. Keeping my fingers crossed we can save this rare bird.
Any help I can give to the new owner please let me know, I know these cars from top to bottom including the problems with the doors and how to fix them, not easy but do-able.
Looks to me to be a MkII which should have a Porche 928 type nose section but it has been glassed on,  why oh why do they do that Huh?

Here's hoping, Peter

To pass away without passing on it not to have passed at all.
Ukhozi
Forum Member only

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, 13 August, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »

Joe has been in touch asking what I thought a rebuild would involve and cost. I said he would be better asking you guys as local prices and parts are so different to ours. I also gave him a few pointers and a link to my article, "So you want to build a kit car", and see what he says, I think it is out of his capabilities and facilities though.

http://eaglecarclub.proboards.com/thread/1242/build-kit-car

Ukhozi
Forum Member only

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, 16 August, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »

Joe says he is still waiting for an offer to be made,  Huh?  I don't know if there is a glitch or crossed wires.

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 16 August, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »

I don't know anything Pete, I've passed on info, but I'm out of the loop on any wheelin' an' dealin'.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: