The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 07:01:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB WEB SITE
http://www.purviseurekacarclub.com.au

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is amazing, building a Aston Martin DB4.  (Read 8187 times)
CyCo
CLUB Member

« on: Wednesday, 07 August, 2013, 04:10:19 AM »

But it's not just this mans desire to own DB4 (though it is a replica), it's how he's going about it.

He's making a buck to use to pull fiberglass body panels from. Trick is, he's using a desktop 3d printer, which set him back $500. And he thinks it will be a few thousand in the ABS plastic for the printer.

Follow the above link to his blog for more photos. Here's a couple to wet your appetite.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 07 August, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »

Struck gold there Cyco, should be almost perfect when complete. There was a guy doing a similar thing making surfboards with a cardboard core made like honeycomb but he hadn't got as far as fine detail. Will be interesting to follow, cheers
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 07 August, 2013, 01:41:20 PM »

Yeah, you can see why I thought it was cool. I can only imagine that when he's finished printing the car, he'll skim fill the panels with body filler and sand it smooth, then prep it for paint for a nice glossy finish. So he has something smooth to pull the fiberglass from.

Hopefully, we'll see.

Smiley

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 07 August, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »

I reckon that by the time he finishes it, he could have bought one

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 08 August, 2013, 02:42:50 AM »

Well, he already has the chassis and engine from another project. And besides, a DB4 will set you back between $330,000 to $1,600,000 depending on which model (coupe through to DB4 Vantage). I don't think it will cost him that much.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 08 August, 2013, 02:57:48 AM »

Right,
yeh true

Plus he can make as many as he likes.

Interesting to follow

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 08 August, 2013, 07:25:09 AM »

Plus if he makes it like the original its a 2+2, so good if he has kids. Guess he's not a James Bond fan!
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 08 August, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »

We'll have to see if he install machine guns and a bullet proof shield.  Cheesy

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Xntrik1
Forum Member only

« Reply #8 on: Friday, 09 August, 2013, 08:08:38 AM »

Interesting to see the Ferrari in the background of one of his May posted photos. This looks to be a Ferrari 250GTO replica based on a short wheel base Nissan z car. He must love his Nissans, hence the reason for a Skyline donor for the DB4 project. These Ferrari replicas are very accurate when compared to the real car and I'm sure the Japanese used the Ferrari as a basis when designing their 240z. Whistle Whistle
Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: