The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 20 April, 2024, 06:49:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This FORUM is brought to you by the members of the Purvis Eureka Car Club of Australia.
Please consider supporting the CLUB and supporting the Marque by becoming a Club Member

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Targa Roof  (Read 10542 times)
Slug52
Forum Member only

« on: Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »

Hi guys! Long time since I've been online here - moved house, moved office, heart attack (all good now) etc. Noticed a post last night regarding a targa top from Malaysia. Apparently one turned up broken her in Oz. I am thinking of ordering one (with some insurance) and wondered whether the windscreens available here will fit the Malaysian roof? I would prefer to just get the roof online rather than risk having a screen damaged in transit. Any advice appreciated. Also, if Scott (Sth Melb white Eureka with rotary, plus a red one) is known to anyone - please let me know. I found a seat belonging to him in the move. Regards to all, Slug.
Slug52
Forum Member only

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, 10:04:18 AM »

PS My car is a Sports - not sure if that makes any difference when fitting the imported targa roof. Slug
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »

Hey Slug-0, good to see you're still sticking around.

The Eureka, er...clone, in Malaysia is based on our F4, so a F4 windscreen should indeed fit. Only thing I'm not sure of is how deep the recess is around the windscreen to receive the windscreen. But it should be ok. And yeah, the F4 roof will fit the Sport. From memory, the main issue with the other person who got the roof from Malaysia was in the actual shipping itself. Sounds like it was placed on the bottom of the load in the truck, the unloaded a few deliveries, the load wasn't secured properly and something heavy then landed on top of the crate containing the roof. Looked like corner first too.

And here's the other thing that went wrong too. The Noreca people who packed the roof in the crate didn't support the roof much in side, no extra bracing, blocks of foam or cardboard boxes. That may have helped with the other roof, it might not have done a thing.

As I understand it, finding an insurance company to cover something like that being shipped over seas it kinda hard. The person who did this before thought they were covered, but found that at least the last leg of the transport wasn't, or something like that. They weren't a happy camper, and rightly so.

I believe that roof was repaired and ended up on a 'reek somewhere. I believe the fiberglass was deemed ok, maybe could have been thicker in parts. The thing about the windscreen was a few people who saw it thought it looked too thin, and I can't remember if any one said it was actually approved for Australian Standards anyway.   

It cost them around $2000 landed for the roof. If you were to want to go to Malaysia to make sure your roof was packed properly (if they were to let you), the flights are around the $800 one way if you cherry pick your flights and several months ahead.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

shonko
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »

Hi Slug,

I now have possession of the infamous Malaysian taga roof. It is sitting in my shed and I can take some measurements off it if you like, just let me know what you need....... btw it is not for sale.

It too needs a new windscreen.  Whistle

Regards
Shonko
Slug52
Forum Member only

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 11 April, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »

G'day - and thank you to CyCo and Shonko - I can't believe I'm typing those monikers!
CyCo I had asked the Malaysian guy about the last roof and it's damaged condition and he had said pretty much what you have indicated happened - stuffed up by poor workmanship in handling due to really heavy load on top.
He reckoned they'd go the extra mile this time in terms of packaging.
Shonko, the only thing that worried me apart from the packaging was having a roof turn up that wouldn't accept a local screen. Not sure whether you have already checked that out - but any reassurance in that area would be very helpful.
When I got my screen they weren't available so me and a Queensland father / son team with the same problem had several Sports screens manufactured - I think he then sold the others to Club members.
I've lost touch with the issues around getting an F4 screen that would hopefully suit my Sports with the new targa roof. Are the screens still available - and how much do they cost?
Really appreciate the help thus far! Thanks, Slug.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 11 April, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »

I believe you can still get the windscreens through local suppliers, Windscreens O'Brian I think you could get them through. Though they get their supply through someone else, Pinkerton Glass or something like that?  I think they had dropped to around the $400 mark. You may have to wait for a while though, as they're using an overseas supplier themselves!

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

shonko
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 11 April, 2013, 11:20:54 PM »

I have an F4 screen on my car and the Malaysian roof minus a screen. I will do my best to compare the two openings remembering the one on the car will have the screen in the way.

I will try to do this tonight.
Slug52
Forum Member only

« Reply #7 on: Monday, 22 April, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »

Hey Shonko! Any reassurance available yet on whether the local screens will fit the Malaysian targa top? Given the cost of the roof I am reluctant to order one without knowing whether the screens will fit. Thanks, Slug
shonko
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, 24 April, 2013, 12:14:31 AM »

Hi Slug,

Sorry for the delay.........had a house full of interstate visitors. I got out to the shed last night and measured the Malaysian roof and compared it with the one on my car.

Like I said previously the one on the car has a screen in it, which made it a little difficult to measure. However, for all purpose and pretence I would say they are the same. Which makes sense if you believe that the Malaysian moulds where pulled off of a F4 Eureka in the first place.

I made the following measurements:

Across the top (mid radius to mid radius) 78cm
Widest point at the bottom 131cm
Mid point top to bottom 89cm
Diagonal - drivers side top to passenger side bottom 122cm
Diagonal - passenger side top to drivers side bottom 123cm

You will notice that the diagonals where not the same which means it is not quite square. This fits perfectly with the rest of the Eureka   Grin Grin Grin

Hope this is helpful.
Shonko
Slug52
Forum Member only

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, 24 April, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »

Thanks heaps Shonko! Safe travellin' and I'll let you know how I go! Regards, Slug.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 24 April, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »

Like I said previously the one on the car has a screen in it, which made it a little difficult to measure. However, for all purpose and pretence I would say they are the same. Which makes sense if you believe that the Malaysian moulds where pulled off of a F4 Eureka in the first place.

And there's even some speculation that the Noreca version is actually pulled from a complete set of lost molds. Either way, you should be right Slug.

8]

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

barsted
CLUB Member

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 18 May, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »

Regarding O'Brien, I got a quote from them of about $600 for the screen and $350 to fit it! That was late 2012. I ended up buying from Moran Glass in Qld for $350 plus freight and O'Briens fitted it for about $200, I think it was. They did an excellent job, with a rubber moulding that looks quite professional. Very happy with the end result.

Ted Smith
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, 18 May, 2013, 03:57:10 PM »

Morans Glass, that was the other supplier I was trying to think of. Thanks for the rest of the info too Ted.

8]

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: