The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 05:30:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FIND US ON FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/groups/purviseureka/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, so now what??  (Read 9724 times)
slaterbug69
Forum Member only

« on: Friday, 20 February, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »

Hi all,

pleased to report that there is now a new 'reek proudly cruising the streets south of Adelaide, startling the wildlife and confusing the other drivers. I picked up my recently purchased Eureka (the "Rockmobile") last week and, after a shaky start (idling problem  -  turned out to be muck in the carbies -  and some weirdness with the immobiliser that saw the last half of it's triumphant maiden voyage home completed on the back of a tow truck) I'm happy to say that it is now off and running nicely.

The car seems to be having the desired effect as a publicity device . . . I witnessed a man actually walk into a stobie pole on South Road as I drove past, and I nearly caused a 3-car pile-up just by being parked on the road outside a friend's house (2 drivers were too busy staring at the car and didn't see that the traffic had stopped in front of them . . . much screeching of tyres and sideways cars). Good times. . .

However, now comes the bit when I have to try to get the car registered for S.A. roads (it currently has W.A. rego, due to expire this April). I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or prior warning as to how much of a hard time they are likely to give me trying to get it registered and are there any tricks I should know? Will it need to go in for a full roadworthy, or is just a matter of getting a vehicle identity inspection? It's in extremely good nick mechanically, with a 10000km-old 1835cc VW motor and gearbox, near-new exhaust system, disc brakes all round, everything works (lights, horn, etc) and it would certainly be considered roadworthy by any other car's standards. Tyres are near new, ride height is good, no oil leaks, etc. etc.

Only knowing a little bit about the sorts of mods Eurekas often have done to them, I would say this car looks about as stock as it could get, except recently refurbished throughout.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to getting this baby legit, so that I can show it off to all of you!

Lee

cruetoone
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 20 February, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »

now what ,well you have caused hysteria and as far as rego goes wyked1 an philsa should be able to help you out in that department....

reek on lee
Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #2 on: Friday, 20 February, 2009, 03:44:51 PM »

G'day Lee.

Hmmmm?

Yes we can help with getting you rego'd.
There are several ways, but its too lengthy to discuss here.
I would strongly suggest you catch-up with us on the Hahndorf/Birdwood run so we can have a look at your beast, kick the tyres, and officially welcome you.

If you think its a head turner, just wait till you see the reactions when there is a convoy of them.

It will be much easier to discuss the rego situation face to face.

I have done it the long hard way, (8 months it took and mine was currently rego'd in NSW), you may want to go that way.
The DRT need an SA Engineers Certification before doing a roadworthy. The roadworthy is just a phisical inspection of brake hoses, brakes lights, horn etc plus chassis & engine number varification, if the stupid puddings can find them. The Engineer certifies it. To satisfy the engineer, you will need side intrusion bars, roll bar, proper wheel track, etc etc, I could go on, but he will inspect & tell you what you need to do. Cost, about $1500 plus the modifications.

Sorry to scare you, but it can be done.

hope to catch-up

Regards

philinsa
alias
BB

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
slaterbug69
Forum Member only

« Reply #3 on: Friday, 20 February, 2009, 04:09:25 PM »

Ouch, that wasn't really what i wanted to hear . . . .
Thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately won't be able to make the cruise, gotta fly to Pt. Lincoln for the weekend for work. Perhaps I can arrange a time to hook up with you guys afterwards, I'm intrigued as to what the alternatives might be (if there are any . . .)

Lee
Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 21 February, 2009, 02:30:31 AM »

Lee

I have sent you a "PM" (personal message)

Just click on "my messages" above

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 21 February, 2009, 05:10:57 AM »

Welcome to the mad house!! We need photos. It's um, the law!   Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

dodgy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 21 February, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »

Congratulations Lee, cant wait to see your car.  Dont worry too much about the rego its just a technicality, we'll get it sorted  Cheesy
Looks like we'll be having another cruise down south real soon  Grin
Dodgy ...    ..     .      .
StReek
Forum Member only

The StReek

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 22 February, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »

Congratulations Lee, well done on the purchase and glad to hear you're out and about in it......

Can't wait to see it close up.  Must catch up.  Don't panic about the rego, you might even be in a position to do a 'Dodgy' with it.   More on that when we can talk in person... 

Be prepared to witness a few car accidents, that is not uncommon when cruising around.

Any pics posted on the photobucket yet ??

StReek ........

There's no point applying the brakes when you're sliding on your roof...
Billy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 03 March, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »

G'day folks,

I have just purchased a Beetle chassis earlier today and have a few questions regarding the licence and 'shonko' methods I can use. 
The chassis is a 1968 IRS and is in pretty good condition, doesn't have licence and is registered in NSW. (I'm over in WA)

I'm kicking myself as I had just seen a 1965 beetle for sale a few days ago and told the guy to give it a miss as it required a complete overhaul to get down to the chassis and was a little older than what I wanted, the car was licenced and registered in WA.  I decided to purchase the later model  Grin
Not sure if I've made the right decision here guys....
I'm thinking about chasing the 1965 model up now that I'm stressing about it!
Any information on licensing / re registering will help me out alot.

My email address is       auswa@live.com.au   

Thanks B

shonko
CLUB Committee Member

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, 04 March, 2009, 07:15:09 AM »

have sent you an email Wink
slaterbug69
Forum Member only

« Reply #10 on: Friday, 06 March, 2009, 12:28:26 PM »

Hey, Shonko

thanks, but the email didn't show up at my end  Sad  . Not sure what happened, but any chance of sending it again? I'd be much obliged!

Thanks,
Lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: