The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 20 April, 2024, 06:47:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This FORUM is brought to you by the members of the Purvis Eureka Car Club of Australia.
Please consider supporting the CLUB and supporting the Marque by becoming a Club Member

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sigma Turbo.  (Read 8767 times)
CyCo
CLUB Member

« on: Saturday, 07 January, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »

Just scanning the net just before bed, and found that the Sigma Turbo still exists, at least upto 2 years ago!

Nice to see that it's still around, well hopefully it hasn't disappeared in the last two years.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #1 on: Monday, 09 January, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »

If your real desperate they had one at the birdwood motor museum in fairly good condition with the full body kit etc. I haven't been there for s while but its probably still there.

Cheers shano
radekp81
Forum Member only

« Reply #2 on: Monday, 09 January, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »

Reading the thread (within the link) it's mentioned that this is the car that was at the Birdwood museum - prior to ending up in the back of of an old warehouse.

"Give a car more power and it will be quicker in a straight line. Make a car lighter and it will be quicker everywhere"

Colin Chapman 1928-1982.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #3 on: Monday, 09 January, 2012, 04:03:06 PM »

That's the point. It's not any old Sigma Turbo, it's the one and only concept car. Not for the original, but a hi-po version by Mitsubishi, but with the fiberglass body work done by Alan Purvis.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »

Sorry chaps, I should have followed the link. I could be wrong but I reckon one of the guides at the museum told us that the concept car never actually received the turbo engines that Chrysler were experimenting with. Anyone able to confirm or shoot me down?
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »

Not totally sure. I think I have a magazine with an article on this car, I'll have to dig it out and have another read.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

radekp81
Forum Member only

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »

That does line up with what others said on the link...  Wouldn't be hard to fix that - A Starion 2l or US's Starion (Conquest) 2.6l turbo'd bolt in, else an EVO 2l with adapter plate would give it the go to match the looks  Wink

"Give a car more power and it will be quicker in a straight line. Make a car lighter and it will be quicker everywhere"

Colin Chapman 1928-1982.
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, 11:03:31 PM »

Stick with the period engine in this case.
                                                          Rad's right. The 2.6 L Starion engine was hugely under-rated. My good mate set a turbo one up properly in the mid 80's in his Scorpion and it smashed everything at the time.

For this Sigma, the 2.6 L turbo with aftermarket fuel injection I reckon.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
radekp81
Forum Member only

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »

Yeah my first car was a little Starion that I spent every spare minute and dollar on.   After working the 2l and a few rebuilds later I ended up swapping the 2l for a US Starion 2.6, modifying TP magna fuel injection manifold to suit and everything else imaginable.  Used to run high 13's and was alot of fun - as you say the 2.6l was very underrated.  Lack of maintenance would cause the valve stem seals to wear out which was what gave them a bad name.  I did however end up using a worked magna head instead of the starion one as the starions had the annoying jet valves which would stick open on worked engines at high RPM...

Colin Chapman 1928-1982.
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, 11:44:53 PM »

Hi

Could keep it in its times (there sitll making the astron motor ) or
Mitsubishi 6G7 from the 380 3.8litre v6
Fitted with a twin turbo kit easy mod from a holden v6
4L60 holden gear bag
may be a r32 or 33 irs
And i think the 380 front end is an easy bolt in (not shore) mainly for the brakes

Andrew

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
radekp81
Forum Member only

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, 11:48:30 PM »

Grin Now we're talking!  Would make it pretty front-end heavy...  fun none the less.

Colin Chapman 1928-1982.
Agroeureka
CLUB Committee Member

Why does every part need a modification or paint

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, 12 January, 2012, 01:18:55 AM »

Hi

I dont think there wouls be much of a weight gain as the old motor was cast iron the replacment would be alloy i thing the gear box would be the greatest weight gain.
The rear tyres would also need to be enlarged to handle the power

Andrew

"Just add the blower it will be fine" he said

Then all hell broke loose with large amounts smoke
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: