The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 30 March, 2024, 12:45:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fireproof sheet to go between motor and fuel tank.  (Read 10289 times)
Dr.4holdensandfords
Forum Member only

« on: Thursday, 26 July, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of restoring a PL30 , i was wondering if someone would be able to tell me what they used as firewall between the motor and fuel tank. The eureka manual which came with the car says to use a fireproof fibreglass sheet ? where can you purchase this from or what other options are available.

Thanks in Advance
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 26 July, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »

Hi Doc,
               I think you'll find most reek owners don't use a flame retardant around their tanks. Some of the older reeks will still have it.  I've seen fibreglass batts tucked in and around but long term they can trap water next to your tank and you get rust as a result. I've seen it used as a sound deadener too but thats overkill on a fibreglass car.

Fires usually start in the engine bay near an ignition source, not under or around the fuel tank. Having said that, the only reek fire I've ever seen in 30 years of reeking was my own which lasted about 30 seconds before I got the extinguisher on it. If your still keen, I suggest you see a muffler place as they sell heat shielding or order it through your local auto shop. Failing that I've found sheeting in the Rocket catalogue, part nos: TT 11710 (305 x 610mm), TT 11720 (610 x 610mm), TT11740 (610 x 1220mm). Only as a last resort (expensive), give 'em a call on 02 8825 1900.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
magooster
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 26 July, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »

Hi
  mine and alot of others had pink bats (cieling inserlation) jambed in there
  not sure what Im going to replace it with yet?
  Have to wait til Trev comes back from Holidays and ask him what the Ingeneer advised.
Dr.4holdensandfords
Forum Member only

« Reply #3 on: Friday, 27 July, 2012, 05:21:48 AM »

Hi Simon and Magooster,

for the info i'll look into the heat shielding as you have suggested , along with the insulation bats . What was the cause of your reek going on fire ?

Rodie
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #4 on: Friday, 27 July, 2012, 07:41:24 AM »

You could try SB1 sound insulation. Yes, it's sound insulation, but it's for use under the bonnets of cars, and thus is made of a flame retardant material. It's made by RSP.com.au, but on a quick search of their site, I couldn't find it. According to the info I have (supplied to me by Morris  Wink ), ;

Compared to standard moulded fiberglass, SB1 offers

• Reduced weight
    10% of thickness
    Up to 100% more sound adsorption
    Broad band sound absorption
    No ichy fibers
    Touch
    Thermoplastic heat resistant fiber technology

Applications;
  • Under bonnet
    Firewall
    Dash
    Trunk
    Wheel arch liner

It's black, Temp resistance is -40 to 180c, Continuous Opperating Temp is 120c, It's self extinguishing, and has excellent chemical resistance.

Reduces noise levels - up to 6 dB(A). Easier to install (self adhesive)

Been meaning to post this info up for ages, and only recently found this info again. Thought this may be as good a topic as any, kinda related. 

Smiley

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Morris
CLUB Member

« Reply #5 on: Friday, 27 July, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »

Hi All
  Cyco has put me under pressure here. I will have to check, but off the top of the head it came from a fellow who is a motor trimmer who is also a Rare Spares agent. It works very well as sound insulation, should be fire resistant ,I dont know about holding water. I think there is a small piece in the shed somewere so will run a test if I can find it. Stay tuned !
    Morris.
The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #6 on: Friday, 27 July, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »

Hi Doc,
             My fire was nothing to do with normal reeking. I was going down Bulli Pass (an incline from hell) with the engine at 4000 rpm (rather than use too much brake) when the tired turbo dump pipe decided to ventilate itself directly onto the rear lip of the engine opening, setting it and the wiring underneath instantly alight.

I saw it straight away through the rear view but I had several cars behind me so I couldn't stop. I had to wait an agonising 15 secs to find a side road I could turn into to stop and fumble with the extinguisher. The only time my reek's ever not made it home under it's own power.

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #7 on: Friday, 27 July, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »

Hi All
  Cyco has put me under pressure here. I will have to check, but off the top of the head it came from a fellow who is a motor trimmer who is also a Rare Spares agent. It works very well as sound insulation, should be fire resistant ,I dont know about holding water. I think there is a small piece in the shed somewere so will run a test if I can find it. Stay tuned !
    Morris.

Sorry Morris! I still have the photocopy of the info sheet, which is where I pulled all of the above info from. If you were to use it for your firewall, you would obviously have to use something rigid underneath it, as it's an adhesive sheet.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Morris
CLUB Member

« Reply #8 on: Friday, 27 July, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »

I'm Back.
  I have found the info sheet that was with the insulstion sheet.
    SB1 self adhesive, under bonnet sound insulation.  Temp. up to 180 deg. C. Continuous operating temp. 120deg.C.
    Flammability to MVSS-302 Self extinguishing.
    suppler   RSP   www.rsp.net.au

The bad news,  this stuff holds more water than a sponge. As Simon indicated, not good if stuck to steel.  I put 2 layers on the       fire wall and around the window tunnel. My car spends very little time in the rain so I should be ok.
    Morris.

CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #9 on: Friday, 27 July, 2012, 01:00:03 PM »

Damn, that's a shame it holds so much water. Although I don't typically spend much time out in the rain, but it's been known to happen.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Dr.4holdensandfords
Forum Member only

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, 28 July, 2012, 04:28:03 AM »

Thanks all for the info ,

from what everyone is saying this item is not required so i shall leave it out of the rebuild process.

Regards Rodie
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, 29 July, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »

I wasn't even looking for anything related to this topic, but found this anyway.
ON SALE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!

SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED AT THIS PRICE AND THIS STUFF IS JUST TOO USEFUL FOR EVERY CAR PROJECT TO PASS UP! CHECK WHAT OTHER'S ARE SELLING THIS PRODUCT FOR - THIS IS OVER 50% OFF

This insulation provides sound and heat protection and is perfect for use in any hot rod, street rod, rat rod, vintage car, ute, caravan, camper, limousine, SUV, RV or bus, You can even find dozens of uses for this around the shop like we have (beer cozy's, windshield sun blockers, thermos wraps, etc.)

This product prevents the mildew and rust caused by materials such as jute or cotton or glass fiber that can retain moisture.

This is the double sided product that stops twice the radiant heat transfer as the types with foil on only one side.

Excellent sound deadening will keep out unwanted engine and road noise along with making your stereo sound better. This product is for in car insulation such as roofs, doors and trunk lids but is not sufficiently heat resistant to be used around exhaust or other high-heat applications. It's only 200 grams per sq meter and cuts with scissors or a sharp knife, and as you can see from the photos it easily forms to irregular shapes and can be secured with 3-M general trim spray adhesive.

Measures about 1.8 m by 1.2 m for about 2.2 square meters.

Reduces Road Noise :: Yes
Reflects Thermal Energy :: Yes
Increases HVAC Efficiency :: Yes
Enhances Sound Systems :: Yes
AirGap Technology :: Yes
Roll :: 1.8m x 1.2m (5.9'x 3.9') 2.2 SQUARE M
1 Roll = 2 Doors
1 Roll = 1 Floor Pan
3 Rolls = Complete Car (most models)

UTMAT1_1363185

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

Pages: [1]   Go Up