The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 01:38:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB WEB SITE
http://www.purviseurekacarclub.com.au

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V6 Pertyness  (Read 22380 times)
mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« on: Wednesday, 08 August, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »

Hi Guys,
Been a while since an update.
My toy has been sitting at work for a little while while I'm rewiring it.
There was an issue with the ignition module, which I only found after 2 coils decided to leak their guts everywhere.
Anyway, decided to remove all the old wiring which was not so pretty, and replace it with new ones, hopefully killing any bugs it.
I also didn't like the colors from before, now its red for power, black for ground, various other colors as desired.

(Sorry about the fingerprint on the camera)

Everything behind the dash is being replaced with a CAN bus, so I all these wires will be no more soon.
Eventually it will be just power, ground, signal+ signal-... Then it can all be hooked into a PC for remote control and logging.

New fuses and relays in the back, with additional +12V terminals for easy connection when screwing around back there.

See all the wires scattered around the place? No? Me either  Wink
CyCo

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 08 August, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »

Awesome. Great to see you're still alive and posting. She's a schmick unit.

Wink

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

bushboy
Forum Member only

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 14 August, 2012, 02:08:53 AM »

Mr Guy,

What is the make of V6 you have in the back?  I am running a Mazda MX6 V6 in the British Eureka.  160 horses (According to the box it cam out of) and a lot of fun (Just ask Phil from SA.)

I too had to cut a lot og the back end awy to fit over the donk & the fuel tank is in the front.

Bushboy
mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 14 August, 2012, 03:01:29 AM »

Hi mate,
Yeah, yours is the only other V6 Ive heard of.
This one is a PRV engine (Perugot, Renault, Volvo) same as the Delorean.
They're usually around 2.6ish Litres, but Ive been told that this one has been bored out closer to 3.
90deg V, which has uneven ignition timing, so it has been said that it sounds rough at idle, but it sounds beautiful to me.
I'm not sure what its donor was, but it looks like an older of the PRV models, which has been converted from carby to fuel injected.
Its got an aussie made microTech EFI system, which I guess was designed for rotarys, but works ok with the six cyl. Still needs some throttle position feedback, it's just using an idle switch and vacuum at the moment.

Just finished swapping the ancient hand-made ignition module out for a bosch integrated HEI package. After mixing up the cylinder numbering (apparently they don't like firing on the intake stroke), and fiddling with the reluctor polarity, she fired up beautifully yesterday after sleeping for a few months.

Ill get her onto the dyno at work soon and see how many ponies and killer wasps are crammed in there.
Philinsa
BB
Administrator

REEK38

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 14 August, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »

Yeh

I can testify that Bushboy's V6 is fast.
We went for a spin and I got back before we left  Whistle

Eureka, 1:1 Scale Model, no glue required, suitable for ages 38 & up. Caution: Confined Space, small parts enclosed. May induce hair loss. I have "Side Intrusion" Bars and "Roll" Bar on board but No "JC" Bars fitted.
mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 31 March, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »

Long weekend means I can get some work done.

New fuse-box for the front of the car, with a AVR microcontroller and another one in the cabin. Connected with 3 wires for communicating between each other.
This means I could remove all of the fused power wires that were fed into the cabin to the various switches/indicators etc, that were then fed back to the front of the car to the blinker unit and lights etc, and then fed back into the cabin again to blink the indicator indicators.
Cabin wiring is now going to be just high impedance connections that are switched to ground, nice and safe.

Trying to fix a leak in the pneumatics, replaced the upstream hose, downstream hose, before finding a crack in the regulator housing.
$40 and a new regulator later and it pressurises nicely. Immobiliser connected to my microcontroller unit controls the air solenoids so the roof goes up and down smoothly.

Steering wheel screws often came loose, so a new adapter plate (that also brings it closer to me, now i can stretch my legs) has been made. Lots of aluminium to bolt into now, and fresh taps mean its not coming loose anytime soon.

New leather gear knob and handbrake handle and boot

Oil change and shine.

CyCo

« Reply #6 on: Monday, 01 April, 2013, 12:05:40 AM »

Sounds like a very neat car is becoming neater.  Cool

At least some get the long weekend off, I'm working straight through it. Although my pay will be nicely padded out because of it.  lol

I don't think I realized that your canopy was pneumatic. I've seen a few attempts to make the canopy pneumatic, but they never worked, or were to violent. Could you perhaps take a video of your canopy opening & closing.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #7 on: Monday, 02 December, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »

Finally got around to fixing everything for a video-worthy demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbuWqY3qjI0

I got a four button remote to replace the single button one that I had previously.

1. Engage air compressor. - It used to be automatic, but it would slowly leak down and recompress whenever the pressure got too low -> expensive battery replacements.

2. Open/Close canopy. - Toggle open/close. The microcontroller in the car takes care of the valve timing/latching.

3. Fuel prime. - Dumps a load of fuel into the manifold before cranking to wet all of the surfaces with fuel. This is a trick we programmed into kick-start bikes at work to get them to fire on the first kick. It also gives a good flare up when it fires, which is nice when using the remote start.

4. Remote start. - Yay.

Now I just have to remember not to leave it in gear when I park.   Shocked

Oh, and accidental burnout when leaving the car-wash. Them suds are slippery apparently.  Whistle police
CyCo

« Reply #8 on: Monday, 02 December, 2013, 11:59:59 AM »

Excellent stuff!! Especially the wiring. Looks like the pneumatics need a tad more 'oof' to open the roof up quicker. But other than that, she's grouse mate!!

Grin

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #9 on: Monday, 02 December, 2013, 01:35:26 PM »

Yeah, there is just enough oomph to open when the targa tops are removed, which is how I usually drive it.
I didnt have the compressor fully charged either.

New dash and its done.
the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, 07 December, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »

Hi Mr_guy, just wondering what transmission you have in that car and whether or not a neutral start switch can be fitted?

Cheers
mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, 05:31:48 AM »

Not sure what transmission it is, its a four speed something... any ideas?
I've been told that there are pretty strict laws around remote start over here, so I've taken it out just to be on the safe side.

Going to Pedders today to get the suspension looked at. Stiffer, higher.
I'm no so into the looow rider setup. I think that they look better jacked up like rally cars.
the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »

Would have had a plate on it once probably, no words on the main casing? Deloreans were a 4 speed auto or 5 speed manual so I'm guessing its neither of those boxes. Perhaps a Volkswagen box then, any chance of a decent picture?
the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, 10 December, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »

Or Renault 367 is a possibility too that would probably mate easily with the prv engine. Is your engine at the back or midmount?
mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, 11 December, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »

Pedders came back to me and said:
"You've got some strange coil-over suspension in the front end (rear end too?), VWs have torsion bars, we don't know what it is, and can't do much with it."

Any ideas?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: