The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 29 March, 2024, 01:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This FORUM is brought to you by the members of the Purvis Eureka Car Club of Australia.
Please consider supporting the CLUB and supporting the Marque by becoming a Club Member

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V6 Pertyness  (Read 22379 times)
ireek
Forum Member only

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, 11 December, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »

Hey,

You can buy cheap coil over type shock for VW's for about $60 a pair. They help support the torsion bars not replace them. It could be those, did they take one of to see if it sags all the way down?
WebGoat
aka Paul Patton.
Administrator

Morph, Goat, Reek, whatever.....

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, 11 December, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »

Pedders came back to me and said:
"You've got some strange coil-over suspension in the front end (rear end too?), VWs have torsion bars, we don't know what it is, and can't do much with it."

Any ideas?

G'day Aaron, your Reek always had coilovers on the back even before Russell owned it due to the extra weight of the Volvo donk and from memory the front torsion bars had sagged like most of them have so I'm not surprised to hear that it has coilovers on the front as well.

However, new adjustable ones are still readily available from Classic Vee Dub in NSW Smiley here's the links to them;
Front coilovers - https://www.classicveedub.com.au/cvd_new/part_detail.aspx?parts_id=16920
Rear coilovers - https://www.classicveedub.com.au/cvd_new/part_detail.aspx?parts_id=15237

I have the rear ones on my Sports 'cause it's easier than doing it properly by adjusting the rear torsion bars like you're supposed to. Grin Whistle  Actually adjusting the torsion bars is relatively quick and easy but having to remove and re-install the bloody side pods on a Reek with IRS rear end is a complete pain in the butt and takes a few hours! Angry Cry

Standard VW H-beam frontends are not height adjustable so unless yours has a "Sway-a-way" or similar adjustable beam in it then adjustable coilovers are definitely the go.

Too easy really,

Good luck,

PP.
for life.

Caution: This product may contain nuts!
mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, 12 December, 2013, 02:59:53 AM »

Thanks for the information.

It sounds like I might have a combination of torsion bars and coil-overs then, I don't know VWs, so I assumed that the coil-overs were it.
Those adjustable ones look mighty familiar... The problem is that they are already adjusted up to full pre-load, and I need more height.

It sounds like correctly adjusting or replacing the torsion bars with bigger ones should give me the results I need?
Otherwise fatter springs for the coil-overs, but they sound hard to source judging by Pedders' reaction.

Side-pod removal is not possible on mine, it's all one smooth piece, but I only really need more height in the front, which I think comes off still.
Perhaps the Pedders guys didn't want to start poking around when they couldn't see what was in there due to the fiberglass. If I removed the bottom section maybe it would be easier to get some more advice.

Thanks guys.

the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, 12 December, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »

I don't think changing the spring will adjust the height of your car but will affect the stiffness of the suspension so to speak. The torsion bar is the way to go and I think the settings are in the eureka manual. I will check tomorrow if I think about it. When I think about it actually because I will need to know now! Otherwise I have recollections of somebody doing something like a small lift kit or similar so I'll try and locate that thread as well.
mr_guy99493
Forum Member only

« Reply #19 on: Friday, 13 December, 2013, 02:56:27 AM »

I thought that a stiffer spring will sink less under the weight of the car, so should be slightly higher.
Stiffer springs are always nice anyway.

Edit: Just watched a youtube video showing how the front-end works. Should be straightforward enough to just re-index the springs to get the correct height.
Its just a lot of work to get to the springs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: