The Purvis Eureka Forum
Friday, 26 April, 2024, 02:04:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This FORUM is brought to you by the members of the Purvis Eureka Car Club of Australia.
Please consider supporting the CLUB and supporting the Marque by becoming a Club Member

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: v6 mitsubishi 2lt conversion  (Read 6769 times)
fast ed-05
Forum Member only

« on: Thursday, 05 July, 2012, 11:26:59 AM »

Hi, does any body know if a mivec v6 2lt fits into a eureka pl30 and is it legal in QLD.
CyCo
CLUB Member

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 05 July, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »

I don't know of any prior conversions for a Mitsi V6, so measure it up, and then measure it up again. Then get someone to measure it twice. That said, we know of a Mazda V6 and a Volvo V6. There's also an insane Hemi V8 out there somewhere. You'll have to find someone to make up a conversion plate from a VW gearbox to the Mitsi V6. If one hasn't been done before, you may have to pay extra expenses just to get one done.

But unless it's because you have one readily available, I wouldn't bother going V6 just for a 2lt donk. You could go a 2lt Combi motor, a Stan Pobjoy VW lump (Bug motor taken as close to 2lt as is safely possible), or go for any of the 2lt Subaru donks. And we know that they'll fit in no worries.

With the Mitsi V6, you're just adding on extra weight for not much gain.

As for being legal in QLD, unless one of the others pipe up, you're going to have to make inquiries with engineers. And for it to be legal, it will most likely have to be engineered anyway. I probably should have started off my saying, 'Consult your local 'Eureka friendly' engineer.

Eureka? Youbetcha!   8]

The Metalsmith
PECCoA MEMBER

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 05 July, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »

Hi Eddie,
             Knowing the reduced hieght of a PL 30 engine deck I'm going to say no, your Mitsi engine won't fit. You need to go the flatter or shorter engines to get in there. My recommendations are Subi 2 or 2.5 L examples, Chev Corvair, Kombi 2 L or early Porsche 911 or 914 sixes.

Oh, there's one other that will fit.... a filthy rotor! Go the rotor!!!

Simon

He's out there, somewhere, hoping to finish his reek before he's too old to drive it....
Dennis_B
Forum Member only

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 08 December, 2012, 04:31:38 AM »

Hmmmm... Rotor Smiley
ireek
Forum Member only

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 13 December, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »

Hi,

There is a Baja bug up there in qld that runs a v6 mazda, it goes hard. You can see some clips on youtube. Sorry dont know about adapters and fit but it can be done at some level.

Anthony
bushboy
Forum Member only

« Reply #5 on: Monday, 14 January, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »

My Mazda/Ford V6 Eureka started life in QLD as a normal VW powered beastie.  When I wanted more horses the Dept of Transport at that time (Mid 1990's) had a list of acceptable engine replacements & I was told thay would not consider any thing else.  THe largest capacity was 2ltr single overhead cam.  I went for an 1800 Subaru.  It was engineered & the compliance plate was issued, but I never recieved it as the engineer wanted to see the finished car with all lights working etc before he handed over the plate.  Bummer, shortly after that I ended up in the UK, got married, decided to stay & then transported the Reek to me.  In the UK the rules on modify cars are less strick than Aus.  So in went the V6.  Adapter plate off the shelf from Kennedy engineering in the USA. I used the std ECU & loom.

Having said all that, I have seen the footage of the V6 Baja Bug from QLD, so I guess that, as it is street legal, you must now be able to put the V6 on the VW platform.  The man with the Baja bug made his own adapter plate & I believe is will to supply any takers.

Best of luck with your build & a little research now will save dollars & heart ache later.

Bushboy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: