The Purvis Eureka Forum
Saturday, 30 March, 2024, 11:47:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .
WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR THE PURVIS EUREKA CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car trailer  (Read 6553 times)
Rat Reek
CLUB Member

« on: Monday, 02 April, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »

Hi All
I thinking about making a custom car trailer.As I have got a chassis from a caravan single wheel with working brakes at a price That I couldn't refuse  Grin.
question is what percentage of trailer loaded trailer weight should be over the trailer hitch?

Cheers Bruce
the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #1 on: Monday, 02 April, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »

Hi data,
That kind of assumes loading only the one type of car in the same position. Anyway as that is not probably an accurate way to calculate hitch loading I would suggest you contact your road transport authority. Ours generally has a lot of information about these things either for free on paper or often advice from the guy who's been there for ages. Plus as you will need to register it you may as well check their guidelines.
Cheers
Shane
Morris
CLUB Member

« Reply #2 on: Monday, 02 April, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »

Hi Bruce
  I built my trailer out of an old caravan chassis. Works very well. Each states regulations are probably different if you want to be totaly legal. Off the top of the head mine is 60 to 70 Kg at the towbar loaded. The axle is set rear of centre so the whole thing is balanced properly. This does make the front heavy when not loaded. If I can get a photo to work on here you will see where to put the axle. If you would like more details just ring me 0407 301829
  regards  Morris
the phantom mechanic
Forum Member only

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 03 April, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »

This makes it pretty clear bud, surprising for a government document!

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx

Found it here.....

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=trailer+design+rules&oq=trailer+design&aq=1&aqi=g5&aql=&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.1.0l5.4143l18042l0l28172l16l16l0l4l4l0l2254l3561l3j5-2j9-1l6l0.frgbld.

Good luck
Rat Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 04 April, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »

Hi Morris,

That's pretty much what I had in mind. Nice and simple light but effective.
Rat Reek
CLUB Member

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 04 April, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »

Hi Shane
Thanks for the links yes its surprising the information is very good ? who would have believed it ,I only hope when its time too register my reek that its as easy to get the information out of them
EeleyEagle
Forum Member only

50% Scale

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 04 April, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »

Hi All
I thinking about making a custom car trailer.As I have got a chassis from a caravan single wheel with working brakes at a price That I couldn't refuse  Grin.
question is what percentage of trailer loaded trailer weight should be over the trailer hitch?

Cheers Bruce

I work with caravans  every day and the norm for the BALL WEIGHT is 10 to 12 % of the total trailer mass. That is what you should be aiming for. Hopefully your caravan chassis will have Electric Brakes on it. If so make sure you have a good brake controller fitted to your car. It is also advisable that when the brake controller is wired in to MAKE SURE the Red wire from the controller is wired to your taillights on the car and NOT the brake pedal. This could save you a great deal of headaches.
Andrew

Half the size but Twice as much FUN !!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: